keesje

Which Airlines Charge For Alcoholics On Board?

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:06 pm

I know at some point Continental started doing this. Rumours are Delta started charging on Scandinavian flights.

Low cost carriers always charged.

Continental says is to prevent alcohol abuse onboard ...

Anyone knows what other airlines charge for alcoholic drinks ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

hailstone

RE: Which Airlines Charge For Alcoholics On Board?

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:24 pm

UA wanted 3 bucks for a beer on a IAD-SFO flight the other day - what p155ed me off in that context was that i was booked C-class, but was downgraded into eco because of overbooking..........
inflight director was not too cooperative - letter to CHI is sent.....

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:47 pm

Paying for beer, wine and liquors is a normal thing on USA domestic flights...
Outside of the USA, domestic or international, drinks are generally free...
xxx
Soon on USA domestic flights, you will pay for use of toilet paper...
(s) Skipper

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:51 pm

Would be interested to know whether European charter airlines charge for alcohol.

We flew from the UK to Spain on a Swedish carrier, booze was available, but at cost.

Rgds

gkirk

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:01 pm

British Charter Airlines you have to pay for any drink (except Water i think).
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

luchtzak

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:05 pm

Virgin Express even charges for non-alcoholic drinks, except water, coffee and tea!

kaitakfan

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:08 pm

Hailstone... your letter sent to ORD will be recieved and more then likely laughed at. In all Honesty, UAL has bigger problems then someone who was not happy with an overbooked flight that was bumped down to Y class, by 100K's and charged $3 USD for a drink. Its the norm in the airline Biz... shit happens. I am sorry to hear you had to deal with it! I know its a bitch for sure!

dc-10 levo

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:31 pm

Airtours International, now known as MyTravel, you have to pay for all drinks!

Don't have to pay on Virgin Atlantic, my dad got those little bottles free when we flew them in 1999. The F/A gave him some to keep for the holiday aswell!

DC-10

BNE

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:44 pm

Qantas charge for drinks on domestic except on Melbourne-Sydney Cityflyer after 4pm.
Alcoholic drinks beer and wine are free on international services.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

lapper

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:45 pm

AA have just announced that they will be charging $4 for alcoholic drinks from 01 November, the same as DL.

That now makes it AA, CO and DL that charge for alcoholic drinks in Y class only.

Rick767

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:53 pm

"British Charter Airlines you have to pay for any drink (except Water I think)."

"Airtours International, now known as MyTravel, you have to pay for all drinks!"

To be fair to British charter airlines it is worth noting that tea and coffee is still complimentary after your meal. They cannot charge for glasses of water from the aircraft supply, but will charge for bottled water.

Thankfully they still give us up front free (non-alcoholic!) drinks throughout...
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

United Airline

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:55 pm

Qantas does for some flights. For example, SYD-MEL.

artsyman

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:24 pm

Add US airways to the list also. Within a few months, all 'major' US carriers will be charging for alcohol on Internationals.

Continental did not say it is to prevent alcohol abuse onboard, they just said that in hindsight that it appears to have helped in that department.

Jeremy

Sabena332

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:32 pm

On every FI flight you have to pay for alcoholic drinks except you get one drink for free with the meal.

Source: Icelandair timetable

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HUYfan

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:41 pm

since when could alcoholics fly for free anyway  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

regards

mike

United_fan

Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:10 pm

UA recently raised the price of drinks by $1.00 . Beer is now $4 and those little bottles of booze you can buy in the liquor store for 75 cents are now $5.00. But since UA dropped Coke there isn't anything to mix Pepsi products with  Big grin
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

FFlyer

Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:11 pm

B747Skipper; "Outside of the USA, domestic or international, drinks are generally free..."

I have yet to see a domestic service anywhere in the world where the drinks are free. Often not even coffee or soft drinks are free.

jayhup

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:04 pm

I think that it violates a person's civil rights to charge them because they are an alcoholic.....

Sorry Keesje...too good a topic to pass up!

JH

VirginFlyer

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:12 pm

FFlyer - might I suggest domestic service in Australia, and New Zealand (up until yesterday obviously!).

Jayhup - man, you beat me to it!

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Rick767

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:15 pm

FFlyer,

British Airways domestic services and the "shuttle" all have free drinks and a snack. Pretty ridiculous really on a 30-40 minute Manchester to Heathrow or Gatwick flight, but yeah if you want beer or wine etc.. that's fine.

I assume the other major European scheduled carriers adopt a similar policy?

exPratt

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:18 pm

On a BA flight from LHR to ABZ, they charged me one pound for a Coke.

Rick767

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:22 pm

Expratt,

When?

I fly the shuttle quite regularly from LGW-MAN and back to visit family, and never have to pay for a drink - usually have a beer or wine. Most recent trip was September.

Rafabozzolla

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:49 pm

In Brazil, every single domestic flight has alcohol avaliable for free. Even hard liqueur such as vodka an whisky. Of course this excludes GOL (our non frills), but even there U get an energy bar and soft drinks, and assigned seats!

lmml 14/32

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:51 pm

AirMalta Scheculed flights - Free drinks.
AirMalta Chartered Flights - Drinks are sold.

Guess where the FA's have no trouble doing the closing stock !!!!!!!!!!!

While on this topic, we fly to MAN and BHX (among other UK destinations) both on sked as well as charter flights. We carry the same type of people - most of our sked pax come from the same tour operators (like Airtours and Thompson) as the chartered flights. But on these flights one sure thing stands out: the difference in alcoholic consumption. When it is a chartered flight, only juices and water is consumed - Pax actually hand you back the miniature bottle when they are asked for money !! These flights are generally quiet and easy. When it is a scheduled flight the opposite happens - pax ask for juices because they assume alcoholic drinks are chargeable. Then when the adventerous pap asks for a whisky, offers money and is told that drinks are free, then you practically have to start the bar from row 1. The word spreads like wildfire and the flight becomes one big party. I guess the way to an Englishman's heart is thru the whisky bottle !!

pepef

Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:39 am

Finnair charges for drinks on charter and domestic flights, on scheduled flights everything is complimentary.

thadocta

Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:43 am

Just to clarify the statements about Qantas - Qantas provide free alcohol on all international sectors, as well as on the domestic sectors of international services (i.e. flights operating between international terminals - numbered between 001 and 399).

Qantas also provides free alcohol on CityFlyer services after 1600 on weekdays - this is SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE, BNE-MEL, and soon to include SYD-ADL, MEL-ADL, SYD-PER and MEL-PER.

Outside of these sectors, alcohol is free in the J cabin, and is paid for in the Y cabin.

Dave

jayhup

Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:21 am

VirginFlyer....I just couldn't help myself!

Cheers.....

JH

Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:31 am

Dear FFlyer -
xxx
Most countries South America, all drinks are free... national or international flights... Here Argentina all Aerolineas/Austral have free drinks on domestic flights...
xxx
I often deadhead as passenger between Rio and Sao Paulo (with Varig), on their shuttle, full meal service - before dinner drink, glass of wine with dinner, and liquor with coffee after meal... = 3 FREE DRINKS and a meal on a 50 minutes flight...
xxx
REST OF THE WORLD - come to South America to learn passenger service...
(s) Skipper  Smile

manni

Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:31 am

Keesje,

Delta started charging on Scandinavian flights? Delta closed their station in Stockholm about a year ago, other than that Delta has no other station in Scandinavia.

Back to the topic...

All these airlines starting to cut on inflight services and to charge for alcohol containing drinks, do they also cut their prices? Nope! So what you get is less for more. I'll try to avoid airlines that downgrade their customers.

SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

artsyman

Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:41 am

do they also cut their prices? Nope!

What are you talking about ??, prices are way way way down on last year, if you havent been following the news, the reason that the airlines are bleeding cash by the millions everyday is that the fares have imploded. The airlines are saying "If you are not willing to pay much, then we are unable to give you much"

Jeremy

CGK

Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:19 am

FFlyer,

All domestic flights in Indonesia have free drinks (alcohol included) and food. It's the norm here.

flybulldog

Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:47 am

Do airlines have a problem if you bring your own alcohol on board? If I was an alcoholic, I would just bring a big bottle of booze and a can of coke. I can't imagine paying $4.00 for a little drink.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:01 am

Dear Flybulldog -
xxx
I see you are from the "Liberty" nation... so I tailored the answer for you...
You can take you own "bottle" with you on bord, and you can ask a flight attendant to serve you FROM YOUR BOTTLE... It is illegal to serve yourself from your own bottle... alcoholic beverages must be served by the cabin crew... see 14 CFR 121...
xxx
Most foreign carriers are not so "free" for liberties... since the booze is without charge, I would recommend that you dont take bottles with you and enjoy their free drinks... unless you like a specific brand...
xxx
Suggest you take your own "orange juice" bottles on USA domestic flights, and "fortify the juice with some Smirnoff type vitamins"... unless the new security regulations consider bottles a dangerous weapon...
 Wink/being sarcastic
(s) Skipper

Skystar

Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:10 am

Fflyer,

I believe Lufthansa is still generous with the drinks on its European flights.

FFlyer

Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:24 pm

Skystar; "European flights"..??? I thought Europe is 15+ countries and flights between them are not domestic flights. I have paid for a beer on a LH domestic flight.

CKG, isn't Indonesia a muslim country (no alcohol allowed)?

Skystar

Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:50 pm

Indonesia is a Muslim country, but not as fundamentalist as countries such as Saudi Arabia. They have their own beer - Bintang.

What would be considered a domestic flight in the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc would be of similar cost and distance to intra-European flights generally, so it's pretty much domestic to me. Technically you are correct in saying that they are not domestic flights, but to me FRA-BSL is close enough.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:00 pm

Bintang delicious beer in Indonesia...
And Tiger beer in Malaysia, good one as well...
In Singapore, I end up with Carlsberg, brewed locally...
xxx
Civilized areas of the world... Cheers
 Wink/being sarcastic
(s) Skipper

kestrel

Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:07 pm

MyTravelAirways (and I'm sure most British charter airlines) charge for all onboard drinks, and every season the prices of them creep up a little more, to the point of embarrassment! 150ml cans of soft drinks/juices are 70p, miniatures are ??2.50, Quarter bottles of wine - ??2, Lager ??2, Small bottle of water ??1.50, Kenco Coffee or TyPhoo Tea is ??1.50.

When the passenger books to fly with us, there is also a supplement of ??10 per pax if they want an inflight meal- that's some profit! Our 'No Meal' pax are seated from the back row fwd, and depending on the departure airport, destination and whether Summer or Winter season the number of pax who have chosen to not take the meal option often surprises me - I've done 11 hour long haul flights to the Caribbean/USA etc and had sometimes the whole aft cabin (approx 100 pax) as No Meals. Ofcourse, this also means that they don't get the (very small) free cup of tea/coffee that those with meal trays do. I often think despite ??10 for a charter airline meal is outrageously high most pax end up spending more than that on chargeable tea/coffee, and on the large range of snacks we also sell these days (Pringles ??1,Dairy Milk ??1,Kit Kat ??1 etc). The company also have a policy that any spare meals can be sold to no meal pax by the crew for ??10. I doesn't seem to happen too often, by the time the crew have wolfed a few down!

Most UK charter pax fully expect to pay for their drinks - on the odd flight when the bar service may be complimentary (due to delay/No IFE etc) I find it best not to advertise the fact over the PA system, as strangely enough consumption doubles, as is the case in the Premium cabin where many people are determined to try and drink as much as possible so that they feel like they are getting their moneys worth!

The only passengers who are appalled having been given their drinks (2 x Gin & Tonic, and 2 x Red Wine) at the request for ??10.40 are Mr & Mrs "we've never flown charter before, normally we travel with BA in Club" - they are more likely to be found in the Winter season on long haul flights, of which presumably all the scheduled airlines must have been fully booked, hence the need to slum it on charter! For those that complain the loudest, I suggest a quick calculation between the cost of a typical scheduled Caribbean flight (with free drinks) and a charter flight to the same destination (with a chargeable bar) may give them some ideas for money saving next year!

keesje

Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:15 am

I would find it accpetable to be charged for extra drinks. So one drink on every flight or with your meal and pay for liquors and e.g champagne ...

Would be acceptable IMO if you could get a real great drink for a reasonable price.
Big hot chocolate mug with sweet cream & cookies, nice juice/campari on ice with big bag of nuts/crackers ....
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Lufthansa747

Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:01 am

LH definitely does NOT charge for booze on domestics. Beer/sparkling wine/wine are offered as well as soft drinks.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

AASTEW

Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:46 am

Flybulldog,

AA's policy is that you can bring your own alcohol onboard, however it must be served by the F/A and stored in the galley.

I don't think many people know that is standard airline policy.

LGASTEW

solnabo

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:54 pm

I remember to "good old days" when PanAm didn´t charge a krona
for wine or beer in coach -90. Flew from ARN-JFK / connected to
LAX, but domestic I had to pay for wine/beer...not much, but anyway.
The flight from JFK-LAX with 747 Clipper was awesome:
10-12 f/a and we were like 30 pax in coach, watta service!!!!
Came to LA with jetlag and tipsy  Nuts

Michael/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

artsyman

Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:09 pm

AA's policy is that you can bring your own alcohol onboard, however it must be served by the F/A and stored in the galley.

Interesting, I never knew this. What happens when the customer has had too much to drink and you refuse to serve them anymore of their own drink ?

Jeremy

CGK

Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:01 pm

FFlyer: nope, we are a secular country, although we do have the largest population of Muslims.

Skystar and B747Skipper are right, we do have our own beers. There are also abundant places in Jakarta and other major cities to drink alcohols for locals and expats alike.

standby87

Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:57 am

FFlyer - if I had a specialist subject, this thread would be it.
I once got through 3 Bacardi and cokes, a sandwich, a water and a chocolate bar on a LHR-MAN hop. I'd had a hard day. I used to work with a Scotsman at BA who could double that drinking throughput on a Glasgow shuttle run. When I first joined BA and started flying Saturday morning "football" shuttles up to Manchester, I was amazed at the amount of drinking that was going on in the bar at 7 in the morning. Turns out, as I started talking to these people, it was oil workers, cooks and other folk who'd just flown back on Saudia from the "dry" Middle East. They were making up for lost time and they didn't hold back on the aircraft either.

The problem is now as Dilbert says "more and more stupid people fly for the first time everyday", you get more cases of people who can't handle it, start acting up and before you know it, it's another Air Rage incident...

767er

Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:42 am

The only International Airline flight that charged ex SYD were Airtours when they used to fly here. Given the shocking exchange rate between Aust and the Uk a G&T worked out to be nearly $9!!!!!!!!!!

SQ, NZ and QF are fairly generous with free drinks so long as you don't go overboard.

I was most surpised recently flying FRA - LHR on the 8.10am flight they were serving wine and beer at that hours.

Brent
Sydney
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

kestrel

Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:13 am

Hi 767er

Don't want to sound too biased, but it was considered pretty impressive in the UK that Airtours could offer a return flight UK-SYD which included the first and last nights accommodation for as little as ??399 - I think most of the British pax were more than happy to pay for their drinks as even our cabin service on that route was good... it's the only time I've heard a passenger complain they were being offered too much food.

The SYD route was cancelled (I understand) because they weren't making a profit from the pax (not surprising really), but only on the cargo they carried - strangely after a couple of years of AIH flying to Australia, most of the scheduled airlines started to drop the cost of their fares to a more realistic level.

Personally I can't image the discomfort of being a passenger on an AIH 767-300 with 326 (full) seats for such a long route (MAN or LGW - BAH - SIN - SYD, but I guess as ever you get what you pay for!

Kestrel

United_fan

Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:58 am

Does Saudi Arabian serve drinks on flights to/from the U.S. ? Or is alocohol banned - that would really suck.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:22 am

No booze on Saudia flights JFK-JED - it is dry all the way...
So you have to sneak a small bottle with you...
And be patient until after landing, to stop at the clandestine distillery, the one near Medina Road overpass and Palestine Road...
Good Sadiqi there, by appointement to his Royal Highness Prince Sultan...
(s) Skipper

P.S. On any other flights (non SV), leaving Jeddah, gear up, and cold beer flows immediately...

767er

Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:58 am

Kestrel,

I did not mind having to pay for drinks on AIH because, as you correctly point out, you get what you pay for.

I flew with AIH twice to the UK and did find the trip that bad as the stops in BAH and SIN made it quite bearable as it was roughly 3 sectors of 7 hours. However no matter what airline you fly to Sydney on ex UK the flight in pretty gruelling no matter what. Yes the seats were a bit tight but not uncomfortably so and I am 6" I thought the cabin crew were just marvelous...they were fantastic on every sector and the food wasn't bad (though I was most surprised to see hotdogs and chips for dinner. Chips don't travel well do they??). The IFE was pretty terrible I must say but then so is the IFE on Lufthansa.

Yes I gather they stopped flying into SYD as the other airlines were matching AIH fares so it was no longer profitable. Shame really as I enjoyed seeing your aircraft in SYD.

People seem to think the service on Charters is going to be crap but that is just not true. I have been on Monarch, Brittania and Air 200 and AIH. I have had some appalling service and food on airlines like Lufthansa, United and even BA.

You must get some really trashy passengers at times??????????

Brent
Sydney

Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3