airways

Montana Austria?

Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:42 am

I just came across some pictures of Montana Airlines' Boeing 707. All pictures have been taken in the late 1970s. I have never heard about this airline and I couldn't find that much information on the net.

Can somebody tell me more about this airline?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carl Ford
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner

Michael
http://airways.ch

RE: Montana Austria?

Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:15 am

Montana had OE-INA and OE-IRA - approximately 1976 to 1980... was a supplemental carrier operating charters between Europe and US/Carribean or Europe to SE Asia... As I was on layoff from PanAm in 1976, I delivered their first -138B but had a tail number N105BN and Braniff colors... did spend a few weeks as classroom and simulator instructor for their first crews 1976... training was classroom in Vienna, and simulator in Frankfurt...
xxx
All I know is many of the crews were later hired by Lauda... In a sense, this Montana probably gave the original idea of operating a charter airline to Nikki Lauda...
xxx
(s) Skipper

airways

Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:13 pm

Thanks Skipper, interesting information! Does somebody know why they went out of the market? Were they owned by PanAm for the whole time? Was it possible for an American company to own the majority of a Austrian one then?

Would be nice to hear more about them!

By the way, according to the pictures here at A.net, they also had a third plane, OE-IDA.

Michael

CV990

Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:07 am

Hi!

I remember a friend of mine, also an airline spotter saying to me that he eventually saw at LIS one of their 707's! I think it was probably on a charter flight or doing a flight for a regular airline that operated to LIS. This was between 1977 and 1978.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

clickhappy

Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:21 am

they came unstuck in 1981, one of their planes landed in Houston with a load of illegal weapons and was seized by the ATF. After that the Austrian government withdrew their certificate.

airways1

Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:36 am

Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:33 am

Dear Airways -
Nope - PanAm had nothing to do with them, but they contacted PanAm to do the training of their crews - and PanAm had the habit of taking employees on layoff to be on such contracts - I ended up doing a few weeks of classroom training, and 2 weeks of simulator... then ferried their first plane from Marana to Shannon... It was Austrian company, flight crews were Austrian and some Germans, and "they" had to fight for their existence with Austrian Airlines back then, as they were "competition"... All I remember is their planes were very nicely equipped, I think configured Y165 seats which was all a -138 could take, since fuselage is short like a 720... (Travolta's a -138B as well...)
(s) Skipper

airways

Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:57 am

Thanks Skipper for the explanations. I have mixed up the thing about PanAm in your first post. Sorry. But thanks again for the information. It's nice to hear that from someone who actually was involved in their history.

Michael

Sam the Lab

Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:36 am

During the Aer Lingus strike in spring 1978 Montana aircraft were hired in to operate some of the Aer Lingus shedule and I remember both OE-INA and OE-IRA appeared at Cork operating from and to Heathrow. They were a great site to see at the time, big-ish four engined jets at Cork! If I recall correctly we also had a visit from a Dan Air Comet for the same reason. Nice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos