Snoopy
Topic Author

DA B727/ G-BCDA Aka Dirty Albert

Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:05 pm

I seem to remember that the Dan-Air B727 registered G-BCDA was also known as "Dirty Albert". Has anyone (maybe ex-DA) any ideas where that name came from?

airchabum

RE: DA B727/ G-BCDA Aka Dirty Albert

Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:18 am

Hi Snoopy

Nice to see a Dan-Air question on here! I worked for them in Operations towards the end and I'm sure we knew 'DA as 'Ducks A*se'! I don't remember the name Dirty Albert but it could very well have been a nickname based on the registration (obviously) and the fact that the 727-100's had seen better days.
Biggidy biggidy bong

dc863

Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:21 am

If the burner cans in the JT8s were removed the engines would revert back to their signature mile long soot trail during TO and landing.

Snoopy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:26 am

Thanks guys. My parents had a friend who was a DA captain and I remember spending a week with him in Bristol doing flights on a Comet. It was great sitting in the the cockpit (so dark...it was like a cave) and getting soaked by the melting ice on the cockpit roof when the plane descended!

A few years later I did a flight with him on a 727 out of Manchester to somewhere in Spain. On the way back, probably about 10pm at Manchester, the gear indicators weren't what they should have been and we did a low pass for the tower to check. Everything seemed OK and we landed uneventfully.

I really enjoyed those trips, they were good fun and the crew were great.

kestrel

Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:31 am

Dan-Air will always be sadly missed, and fondly remembered as the airline that flew so many British people on their very first foreign holidays. It was a real shame that as the British tour operators increasingly started their own 'in house' airlines that left Dan-Air somewhat isolated - coupled with quite a large fleet of fuel thirsty aircraft (BAC1-11/727-100/727-200/737-200). If only the 737-300/400's had been introduced sooner this may have helped, along with the move away from charter and towards scheduled flying.

Many of my colleagues now are ex - Dan-Air (their crews were invariably the most friendly, genuine & down to earth around) and every flight I took with them was always excellent - I loved flying on the 727 and wish I'd had the chance to fly on the Comet 4!

It will 10 years exactly (November 1992) since Dan-Air ceased to exist, ironically in their 40th year of flying. A small part of their operation (short haul operations at LGW and the 737-300's & 400's) were purchased by British Airways for the token amount of £1, as they took over DA's debts. Sadly, the majority of the Dan-Air staff were not needed for the new 'EOG' operation at LGW.

I wonder if any special events are being planned to mark the 10th anniversary?

Kestrel

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos