727LOVER
Topic Author

When Air Force One Comes To Town

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:55 pm

What are the air traffic rules when AF1 comes to town. OK lets say AF1 is scheduled to land at 6:00PM. When does the traffic have to halt and when can it start again?

Also, when AF1 is landing or departing at YOUR airport, what special restrictions, if any, are on the spotting areas.

Or does it not even land at the commerical airport. We have McDill Air Force Base about 10 miles to the south, but AF1 seems to always come into TPA!
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

aa61hvy

RE: When Air Force One Comes To Town

Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:05 am

i know alot of the time, they try to go to a military base. so they dont have to shut down alot of things, i know they try to avoid the big airports. when AF1 comes, it goes to DAL instead of DFW.
Go big or go home

srbmod

Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:29 am

With Dubya coming to Atlanta more times this year than Bill Clinton did in 8, I've seen him land mostly @ ATL, since it is close to downtown Atlanta, where his engagements were those times. When he came Saturday, he flew into Dobbins ARB (MGE), because the rally he was going to was up in Cobb County, where Dobbins is. Usually, the restrictions on flights when AF1 lands and takes off are limited to the runway AF1 will use. One of the times AF1 landed here this year, I happen to see it, and flights on the south runway @ ATL were unaffected, because AF1 was coming in on the north runway. Usually, there is a 10-15 minute flight hold when AF1 is inbound/otubound.

Night_Flight

Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:44 am

President George W. Bush visited Fargo, ND in March 2001 and there was a 10nm TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) which did not allow any civilian aircraft to be operating. The secret service C-17 arrived about one hour before the President's arrival.

Here is a beautiful photo of AF1 in Fargo and another of AF2 from another time...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © DSAvit
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dsavit

He spoke at a location right next to the airport and because of this, no flights were aloud into Fargo besides air carrier and military. With binoculars, you were able to see AF1 from the location.

What a plane!

-Night_Flight-
Remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous?