ryanb741

EVA Air's Safety Record

Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:56 pm

What is the safety record for this Taiwanese carrier? Have they had a fatal crash, and is their maintenance up to scratch?
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Air Taiwan

RE: EVA Air's Safety Record

Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:49 pm

AFAIK they have an excellent safety record. I think their insurance bills are like the 4th or 5th lowest in the world. They started in 1991 and haven't had a single accident.

Jimmy

ryanb741

Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:09 pm

Thanks for the info Jimmy  Smile

In that case, why is it that in contrast China Airlines has such an appalling record? It is clearly therefore not Taiwanese aviation which is to blame, China Airlines must simply be run appallingly.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

ContinentalFan

Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:24 pm

China Airlines is (at least partly) state owned and is the 'favorite' of the Taiwanese govt. It doesn't have to care as much, to be honest. Like the phone company.

chiawei

Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:44 am

EVA has one of the best safety record in the air. The only incident that I seem to remember is a hard landing in taipei 2 years ago that resulted in one of their MD-11 suffered damage and was parked for repair.

Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:51 am

Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:27 am

2 Major errors for EVA Air in 1993. One is illegal left-turn in the mid-air. One is taking-off with not enough of fuels.

1 hard landings for the MD11 few years ago. The plane was luckily back in service again.

1 chemical spill for its 744 accidentally during the maintainance. Plane back in service.

Overall, EVA Air's safety record is A+.

Taiwan's safety record:

China Airlines - Contributed major crashed during the company's 42 years of history, around 1400+ died on CI aircraft.

TransAsia Airways - Safety record is between good and excellent. No major crash since 1995 (or 1996) ATR crash. It was an empty flight.

Far Eastern Air Transport - Safety record is excellent. Major crashes happened before 1990s. There was 3 major crash at that time (1 737 inflight break-up, 2 Caravelle with registration ends with 9 crash in Taipei/ B-2009 & B-2029)

Mandarin Airlines - Excellent safety record.

Formosa Airlines (merged with Mandarin) - safety record poor, mostly human error. 3 Do-228 crash in Matsu in 3 years. 1 Saab 340 crash in the sea once.

UNI Air - Safety record is excellent. In the previous Makung Airlines era, it's safety record was between good and excellent.

Taiwan Airways (now merged into UNI) - 1 or 2 crash before early 1990s.

Great China Airlines (now merged into UNI) - Safety record is excellent.

Air Taiwan

Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:01 am

I think it's just the coporate culture of China Airlines that contributed to many of their accidents. When EVA Air started, the owner of EVA Air (also owner of Evergreen Marine Group) said he wanted the airline to be accident free, and the company inplemented a series of strict rules in the maintenance department, and put their pilots on CRM courses.

That said, EVA Air still had some relatively minor incidents such as the ones listed by Jim above this post. And China Airlines is now more then ever focused on the training of their pilots and their maintenance, so let's hope they don't crash again.

Ryan, are you flying EVA Air in the near future?

Jimmy

ryanb741

Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:25 pm

Jimmy

Re your last question I am flying BR LHR-BKK in the new year in Evergreen Deluxe class

Best regards

Ryan