RickB
Topic Author

New BA Televison Advert.

Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:45 pm

Anyone seen the newish BA advert being shown on television in the UK at the moment.

Great advert against low cost carriers - has a number of goes at Ryanair.

Especially the bit where it says 'wouldn't it be nice if the airport was in the city', as it shows some guy walking out of the terminal and seeing a sign saying City Centre 98km away(other signs are in German - couldn't see anything saying Hahn though !!).

RickB

lmml 14/32

RE: New BA Televison Advert.

Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:51 pm

Very witty advertisement with "clear" innuendos.

Ikarus

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:35 pm

Actually, the signs I noticed were in some Scandinavian language, not German. Perhaps Danish or Swedish? The 757 they showed looked like a Condor machine with titles digitally removed...

But the advert really gets on my nerves. The horrible, horrible American drawl (yuck! WAY overdone!), all the nitpicky complaints... (More flights? How often a day does BA fly to Salzburg, Treviso or Alghero?)

Besides, look how buzz reacted. Their PR team decided to make BA's advert into a slogan for buzz - "The low-cost airline the whole world and his wife want to fly"....

Of all airline adverts, my favourite used to be German Delta adverts, broadcasted 4 or 5 years ago. Loved the music, loved the planes, the clouds, everything.

Regards

Ikarus

RickB
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:39 pm

Ikarus - the scene inside the airport looks scandanavian - the scene outside the terminal looks like it has German signs - but I could be wrong !!

Personally I love the advert, okay I love BA, but I also like Easyjet - just nice to see Ryanair getting it in an advert rather than them trying to dish it out !!

RickB

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:41 pm

Would love to see the adverts. Unfortunately I don't have a TV here in college...  Sad

jwenting

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:44 pm

Well Ikarus. Can't blame the majors for using their own tactics (sleezy commercials) against the low-costs...
Still remember EZY flying around with huge titles "STOP BA" on their aircraft?
I wish I were flying

qantas744

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:45 pm

There is a similarly themed ad on BA.com using the same music if you are interested Captain.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:51 pm

Hi Matt

Having trouble - tried Press & Media, no luck. Got a specific link?

Cheers

qantas744

Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:10 am

Sadly not....it was a pop up ad!

I'll have a look in a minute as it may have been taken off.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

qantas744

Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:19 am

My mistake, it was BAA.com, but they've changed it now. It went along the lines of 'more flights, centrally located airports, allocated seating' etc, with the tag line 'There are other ways-and there's British Airways'.

The music was quite clever-'Summer Holiday' morphing into 'Aria On Air'.

Matt

Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:28 am

Sounds good - there's always going to be a market for both types, in my opinion.

At college, I'm nearer STN, and a lot of cheap routes are covered here.

At home, I'm nearer Heathrow, and then I always check the full-service airlines against the low-costs. Will only trek up to STN if the fare differential is 50 pounds +.

It's good to have a choice though.

Flying to SAN on BA Friday next - can't wait!

Rgds

AirX

Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:41 am

Hello,
I've seen the advert.Very commical!I like the bit when the passengers are all running to the 757 to get a seat.It is good to see BA taking a stand against the low cost airlines, comparing the service BA themselves offer to the likes of Ryanair.Good stuff!  Big thumbs up
I have seen the advert online also,think it was airwise.com?

Regards Adrian.

donder10

Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:52 am

Saw a bit of it and liked it.
The low-cost carriers hitting the UK first may well turn out to be a blessing in diguise for BA.

qantas744

Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:13 am

Yeah, didn't they announce yesterday that they were heading back to profitability ahead of schedule? Maybe the 'Future size and shape' exercise has been a success-and there were so many people ready to write them off 12 months ago!

Matt

ba319-131

Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:14 am

It's a great add,one of BA's best in years.Brings a smile to my face.

Rgds

BA319-131
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

Banco

Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:47 am

The only negative about the BA advert is that it's about four years too late. Everything they have said is a legitimate counter-argument to that of the low cost boys. The trouble is that BA didn't challenge them whilst they established their market. Huge numbers of people now never bother to check BA believing that they will always be much more expensive, and that apart from a meal, there is no difference in service.

Still, at least they've made a start.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

RickB
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:17 am

Banco, I think the timing is pretty much spot on. 4 years ago people where very much focused on the fact that they could now fly to destinations at much cheaper prices. However time has moved on, other airlines including BA now offer numerous very competitive prices compared to the low costs. More importantly, many more people have now been exposed to the downside of lowcost travel, including myself. These drawbacks - meals, locations, cancellations, delays, etc. are now more well known than they where 4 years, if the advert was released back then, most people would of just looked at it and said it was sour grapes - because no one knew much better at the time.

RickB

DELTA777

Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:37 am

I was just on BritishAirways.com and THey have a special web page with "have you seen how small our fares our" on the title. They also have a flash presentation saying- Prices include: More convenient airports, More choice and destinations. I`m on BA`s side... take Ryanair Down! (I doubt that)

D E L T A 7 7 7

Banco

Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:59 am

I can see what you're saying Rick B, but the fact remains that BA's European market has been decimated over the last few years by the low costs. Now, it may be true that this particular advert wouldn't have worked a few years ago (I think it would have done though) but BA never responded to the threat - simply continuing as they always had. You cannot do that. It wasn't just their media campaign, but their pricing structure that was to blame. Their franchisees handled it perfectly well, without particularly losing share or indeed yield, so there was no reason why BA couldn't have done the same in terms of revenue. The problem was that when the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet ent on the attack over "rip-off" BA, they just accepted it, they didn't fight back. That has been one of their major problems.

Britair

Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:19 am

I would argue that we did fight back from the start....we started Go.....but we had created this "monster" and didn't quite know what to do with it, sold it and finally realised we could compete with the LCC's on our own by adopting their fare structure. So yes, maybe we didnt do it perfectly but we were the first to tackle the LCC's head on. BA has always been a leader not a follower (see also First, Club etc). Just my humble opinion.  Smile

Banco

Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:26 am

Starting Go could have been the answer. The way to have done that would have been to shut down EOG, and use the slots for Go. It would have then fulfilled its role both as a buffer for Heathrow, and as a profitable entity in its own right, as well as becoming a core business. As it was Go was always weaker than either Easyjet or Ryanair (no USP - LGW would have offered that) and it sucked traffic out of LGW and LHR by having the backing of BA behind it. Don't forget, for whatever reason the public were slightly sceptical of the low cost carriers - even in terms of safety - right at the start. BA gave them an extra dose of credibility at a stroke. The public then had the perception they were buying BA quality at a much lower price (perception, remember) so why bother with the real thing?

Having then poured in the money, they sold it just as it was becoming profitable. Oh, yes, it could have worked. They just screwed it up.

blink182

Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:02 am

I hope Lufthansa and Alitalia get in on the act, especially against Ryanair. Ryanair has been possibly the most arrogant airline I have seen in awhile "Auf Wiedersehen Lufthansa" and "Arrivederci Alitalia". It's good to see British Airways make fun of the no frills.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...