fly_emirates

Never Touch A Flight Attendant

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:14 am

Today DXB-LHR, was working this flight on first class, i walk to the back of the plane, then was holding a tray that had a duty free product and talking to a passenger who was seated, some other passenger comes and Taps my back so hard as a way of grabbing attention, i was so freaked out and almost smashed the tray into his face as a defense mechanism, but thank god, i just turned around and looked at him, he was smiling in a way that indicated he knew he wasn't supposed to do that. I couldn't help it, and tried to act in a proffessional way. so i said "Sir, can i ask you a question?" he said "sure" then i Said " i assume you are aware of what happend on September 11th right?" he said "yes", so i said "sir, please, and please and please, Never touch a flight attendant again, i almost thought you are attacking me, and some other ones might have responded in a defense mechanism" he smiled and said he was sorry.

just wanted to let every one here know

aa61hvy

RE: Never Touch A Flight Attendant

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:16 am

can you touch the F/a's on extacsy air?
Go big or go home

jhooper

RE: What To Do During A Long Flight?

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:23 am

Can you spell "paranoid"?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

hmmmm...

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:29 am

Is it your theory that the 9/11 hijackers' first move was to call the attention of a F/A, by tapping that F/A on the back?
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

Rick767

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:33 am

My partner is a flight attendant...

Busted  Laugh out loud Big grin Big grin  Laugh out loud
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

hmmmm...

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:45 am

My partner is a flight attendant

You go girl!

zrs70

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:23 am

Fly Emerites:

Good advice. Hands to yourself, Sept. 11 or no Sept. 11. It's rude.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

IMissPiedmont

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:36 am

I touch a pilot in very intimate ways on a frequent basis. She would likely maul me if I ever touched one of the flight attendants that work for her company. She has nothing to fear though.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

SAS-A321

Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:17 pm

Why didn't you go and joined the mile high club? Laugh out loud

http://www.milehighclub.com/
It's Scandinavian

BR715-A1-30

Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:20 pm

It took me about an hour to read all of those stories. Hmmmmmm
Puhdiddle

jmc1975

Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:36 pm

Hooters Air! You'll be able to touch those stewardesses as you could at a normal Hooter's restaurant!

ual777contrail

Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:47 pm

OVER REACTING,who wants to touch a flight attendant?

brianhames

Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:50 pm

Perhaps we should narrow this down.

"Never touch a flight attendant with excessive force"

trickijedi

Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:01 pm

Fly_Emirates,

I think what you mean is to not touch flight attendants improperly.

I myself am one of those people who, when I try to get someone's attention or ask for favors, usually puts a gentle hand on a shoulder or any place that people would find to be non-offensive. I've always thought of it a kind, charismatic gesture. I also usually do this whenever I say thank you, especially if I notice that the other person goes out of his/her way. I feel that it adds more to the words. From my experience, most people appreciate it.

Fly_Emirates, I can see where your're coming from with your incident however. From what you described, it seems like this guy tapped you kinda hard - and rudely at that. I probably would have reacted the same way. I'm sure had he been a little more on the gentle side, you probably would have appreciated his demeanor.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:12 pm

Today DXB-LHR

and

Sir, can i ask you a question?" he said "sure" then i Said " i assume you are aware of what happend on September 11th right?"

You said that to him because he was an Arab you racist $&^$.

Laugh out loud TNNH

gr325

Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:14 pm

Yep, if it is a she, 21, tall and blond, they can touch me. No worry's.

Big thumbs up
"You should have gone to specsavers"

707CMF

Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:52 pm

Trickijedi > If ever you want to attract my attention, just say my name. never pat me on the shoulder or anywhere else. You may find it charismatic or kind, but I would feel it as a privacy invasion.

Okay, now, if you were a 25 gorgeous gal, that would be different  Laugh out loud

Antoine

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:01 pm

Fly_emirates: I am sorry, but I thing you are being paranoid. If you are so stressed when you are flying, go and find another job!

elwood64151

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:46 pm

Jmc1975:

It is obvious to me that you do not often visit Hooters. I am a well regarded regular at the one near my home, and were I to touch a Hooters Girl in any way other than a hand on her fore-arm while making a joke or asking for coffee, I'd be (not so) kindly asked to leave.

As for Hooters Air, I think it's dead anyway. HOA's CEO doesn't want to spend the money on the kind of flight certificate he wants.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

mandala499

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:10 pm

Well, 9/11, Air Rage... hmmm...

I always say "excuse me" if I popped my head in the galley... and never touch an F/A on the shoulder to grab attention if he/she is alone in the galley... bad move!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

travatl

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:10 pm

This is funny actually...just last week we were having this discussion in the galley about how much we HATE being touched by the public. It is rude, and our close quarter defense training is very specific about reacting to nonseen passengers getting our attention.

We give you our names during the announcements. Feel free to use them. "Excuse me", "Pardon Me", even "Hey!" are preferred to touching us.

In any case, not long after this discussion, a business class pax was coming forward to use the restroom. One of the girls I was flying with, had her back to the aisle, and was partially blocking his way. He put his hand in the middle of her back and kinda moved her forward. She spun around and stepped back and away from him. I said "Sir, please don't touch flight attendants". He thought I was kidding...and to prove it, reached out to touch my arm, which I jerked back and reiterated.."SIR, DO NOT TOUCH US". He, of course, was suddenly bent out of shape, rolled his eyes, and went into the bathroom.

What is the problem with this? It is not paranoia. This is a completely different world we live in. And if every flight attendant who didn't like being touched on an aircraft suddenly "went and found a new job", I assure you, there would only be 5% of the workforce left.

Before you criticize us, walk a mile in our shoes first. I am not one of those who walks around with a chip on my shoulder toward passengers, or beat the "WEAREHEREFORYOURSAFETYONLY!" drum, nor do I prescribe to the "Flight attendants are here to save your ass, not kiss it" mantra. I am professional, nice, accomodating, and very customer service oriented. That however does not give you or any other passenger the right to talk to me in any manner you see fit, nor to TOUCH, GRAB, or GROPE me.....

and as for the "fly-emirates"...you should've wacked him with the tray.....

Travis

BR715-A1-30

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:29 pm

If ever you want to attract my attention, just say my name. never pat me on the shoulder or anywhere else. You may find it charismatic or kind, but I would feel it as a privacy invasion.

I'm sure if Fly_Emirates would have had his nametag on his ass, that person would not have grabbed him and probably would have said "Excuse me, ________" .  Yeah sure
Puhdiddle

lmml 14/32

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:37 pm

Extremely well said, Travatl. The British charter passengers have this extremely rude habit. How I despise it when I am touched or called "Luv". Worse still when I am whistled at or when pax snap their fingers. What do they think we are? Their pet? Normally I simply give such pax a look of disapproval and move on.

We work in a confined environment with very little unoccupied space. Our private space is constantly invaded unavoidably. Deliberate physical simply to draw attention is unacceptable. You have call buttons - use them. And don't you all complain how cramped airplane seats are? Take a walk to the galley - it will do you good.

You are right Fly_Emirates. It is outright rude and hostile to touch a flight attendant.

BBADXB

Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:58 am

I perfectly agree: Flight attendants should never be touched. Well said, LMML 14/32, Travatl and Fly_Emirates.

Wink/being sarcastic A nice weekend to all,
BBADXB

fly_emirates

Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:30 am

Twaneedsnohelp,

Now i am Arabic, and from the United Arab Emirates, how could i be racist against people of my own race? give me a good explanation here

Deltadutchdude,

now i might not be aware that you might be one of my legal guardians to tell me if i should find another job! i have been doing it for six years, and i try to be nice to passengers, except this time when he tapped my back and not my shoulders, if that tapping was on my shoulders, i might have been ok.

BR715-A1-30,
we dont put our name tags on our asses!

fly_emirates

Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:33 am

and one thing more to you guys who think i am being paranoid, you might not be aware that one time before september 11, i have been attacked by a passenger on first class who grabbed me from my neck tie and pushed me to the Cabin door before departure. So maybe that incident make me welcome touching from any one.

hamad

Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:37 am

now deltadutchdude, i was kinda wondering, if i touched a flight attendant on KLM the same way that passenger did to Fly_emirates, what would the response be? maybe you should tell me the answer since its your national carrier
PHX - i miss spotting

wadha

Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:02 pm

guys who think that Fly_emirates are paranoid... you have to think about cultural customs, touching in some cultures is non welcome, especially if from the same gender. now some of you would argue that a male flight attendant is gay, but not really. In The United Arab Emirates, touching from another male who is a stranger, or from any other female is un welcome. plus, who wants to touch a flight attendant and have something called "Airline employee assault"?

GD727

Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:48 pm

I agree with Fly_emirates, you should not touch FA's. Not only is it sort of threatening, it's just plain rude. I mean, I know I don't like strange people I don't know touching me!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

sq_ek_freak

Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:16 pm

This all reminds me of a time when the passenger seated next to me in J class smacked a gorgeous SIA stewardess on her ass and she sort gasped and looked back. She gave this look of disgust and continued down the aisle. After that a male leading steward served our section and served the weird ass guy next to me with a look of disapproval. No idea why the guy smacked her ass...it was so random...he didnt say anything, just smacked it as she was passing by. But I did see him checking her out when she was bent over serving the meals and helping pax get their luggage into the overhead bins. Looks like I was seated next to a real perv.
Keep Discovering

hmmmm...

Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:36 am

A flight attendant is trained to be, and is expected to be, both by the airline and the passengers, trained to keep his/her cool when things get rough. If a tap on the back to get his attention was enough to almost freak him out, as he dramatically described, then he is probably no longer suitable for that line of work. I mean no offense. I am going by what he said, and how he said it.

i was so freaked out and almost smashed the tray into his face as a defense mechanism,...

hamad

Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:35 pm

hmmmm, how nice! why dont you work as some one who is a counselor so that you tell people what job they should take? Big grin
PHX - i miss spotting

Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:43 pm

Now i am Arabic, and from the United Arab Emirates, how could i be racist against people of my own race? give me a good explanation here

Five letters champ:

H - U - M - O - R

rpwgw

Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:00 pm

Absolutely no touching allowed.

I remember a couple of Japanese gentlement on a SQ flight to SIN got arrested for it once - highly inappropriate touching.

It's just good manners not to touch people you do not know - unless they are about to stand in front something like a train right?

mandala499

Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:02 pm

Fly_Emirates...
Seems like U guys have rowdy pax... I was thrown back to my seat once by one of you guys...  Smile But that was because I was strangling another pax ! Good that EK knew who to lay the blame on...

Long Live EK

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

pacificjourney

Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:11 pm

"Never Touch A Flight Attendant ... " Couldn't agree more, stay well away.

Last time I touched one I got crabs !!!!
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

rey777

Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:57 pm

Hey... Calm down everyone... I think nobody in ANY job loves to be touched, especially in the back !
However, I touch a FA back every time I can ! Just ask my fiancé !!!  Big grin
(ooops bad joke !)

Rey 777

lmml 14/32

Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:13 pm

Fly_Emirates said: ....i have been attacked by a passenger on first class who grabbed me from my neck tie and pushed me to the Cabin door before departure.

What action did you take against this passenger? Was he drunk? Did you offload him? Did you prosecute him? How did your airline react to this assault on a member of its staff?

fly_emirates

Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:51 am

no he wasnt drunk. he just did it, he was taken off the flight

aa61hvy

Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:55 am

i dont know the policy on that situation, but i would of opened up a can of whoop ass on him
Go big or go home

A330

Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:17 am

Do you touch police officers? No? Well, they are also responsible for your safety. Cabin crew has an extra task, and that is serving you, but their MAIN task is safety. Never touch crew from the back when they cannot see your intentions. Doing that is plain stupid. Nothing wrong though with shaking hands...

Fly_emirates, just out of curiosity, do you follow Ramaddam during duty?(travelers are exempted from participating according to the Koran)

A330
ex. VG, ex. SN, future EK pilot?
Shiek!

Greg

Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:23 am

As a policy, I agree with not touching. It can be offensive even when entirely innocent.

Frequently, however, because of the noise in the cabin I've 'tapped' and attendant on the shoulder--either in the gallery...or if they don't see me in the aisle.

Never once did I hear an objection or have a problem...

kj76

Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:04 pm

Call me paranoid but if someone did that to me at my work I propably would snap and give a gentle punch somewhere.

I hate when people do that. And specially in an aircraft it must be annoying.

I think a "no-touch-policy" applies everywhere you work.

Cheers!

lmml 14/32

Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:18 pm

Let's say a flight attendant touches a passenger. And this passenger happens to sue the airline. It will make the headlines and the airline will discreetly settle this small matter out of court by a handsome benefit.

Now what will a flight attendant get if a passenger makes a complaint that the flight attendant was rude to him/her after the former "gently tapped" (as the passenger would say) the latter to draw attention? In an extreme scenario - if this to gets the attention of some over zealous reporter - the FA will get the sack for embarrassing the airline.

707CMF

Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:08 pm

I'm sure if Fly_Emirates would have had his nametag on his ass, that person would not have grabbed him and probably would have said "Excuse me, ________"

Wow ! Didn't think of that. Well, when I don't know the name of someone, I say "Excuse me Sir/Miss/Madam"...

The only way I could imagine touching somebody I don't even know the name would be to shake hands - except if I'm introduced to a girl. Then, it's a kiss on the cheek (it's great to live in France  Smile/happy/getting dizzy )

Antoine

GunFighter 6

Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:55 pm

A flight attendant pregnant from the autopilot is never funny  Big thumbs up

Greg

Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:59 pm

I asked a friend of mine who has been a cabin attendant for 15 years with UAL. She pretty muched summed it up saying in many circumstances it can't be avoided...it's a confined place...and it's difficult to hear because of noise or blocked ears. She mentioned she is far more likely to violate a persons personal space than the other way around. And that if that is bothersome---you likely picked the wrong career!

Well said.

Can you f/a's agree?

fly_emirates

Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:01 am

Greg, dont you think that your two posts are totally opposite! well i am not surprized that you got the answer from a flight attendant on UAL, but there are polite ways of touching, could be a little gentle tap on the shoulder, not a harsh pointy tap on the center of my back once! maybe something was pointed at my back other than his hand this way.

Dash8King

Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:56 am

Yeah F/A's touch me all the time. Not because I am really attractive but to get my attention as this person did with you.

airnewzealand

Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:47 am

Hey Guys,
i AGREE 110% with the Flight Attendants and those that said Touching is a no no....
As i am a waiter and also a grocery assisteant, i frequnently get asked questions...And when someone touches me, i hate it!...I usually turn around and give thema dissapproved look also...
Now in no way, do i give out bad customer service, in actual fact i am also very customer serviced focussed (as they drill it into us where i work), but when someone touches me, it rubs me up in the wrong way!!

Fly_Emirates, you should of got that tray and wacked him accross the face with it! that will teach him a lesson! And by the way...what did yhe want?? A juice most prob....figures!!!

Cheers
Mike