portcolumbus

Digital Camera Use On Takeoff/Landing

Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:03 pm

Is the digital camera considered an 'electronic device' that is prohibited from use during takeoff/landing? I always follow the rules, but it's frustrating to not be able to take those types photos.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

MD88Captain

RE: Digital Camera Use On Takeoff/Landing

Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:14 pm

Yes it is a prohibited electronic device.

QANTAS747-438

Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:17 pm

On all the flights I have been on, I always take photos of take offs and landings. I've had flight attendents see me and not say a word. I don't know what the official word is, but I've never had a problem.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

rmm

Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:25 pm

I think it depends on the airline. We recently exported an Ansett 737 to Rio Sul. Part of the contract was to uprate the engines from -B1's to B2's. Because no test cell run was carried out, Rio Sul asked Boeing how to accurately measure the EGT margin of the uprated engines. Boeing/CFMI's response - use a digital camera and take a snap shot of the engine instrument cluster 6 seconds after rotation on the test flight then forward the figures to them.

Rmm

jhooper

RE: What To Do During A Long Flight?

Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:55 pm

How about my electronic wristwatch??
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

trickijedi

Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:07 pm

Now that we're on the topic...

I've always wondered about pacemakers as well. I mean, it's not like you can shut it off for take-off.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

astrojet

Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:54 pm

well, depends on the airline. Normally any electronic devices are authorized during take off and landing. I asked once an Air Berlin F/A and she told me only use it during cruise flight.

I see a lot of people don´t care an make photos and moovies during take off and landing. I did once, but don´t do it often because I don´t feel good using the camera after beeing told not to use it. Actually digital cameras are not dangerous (I think) it´s just a safety measure.

fritzi

Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:32 pm

Trickijedi,
I´ve always wondered the same thing!

Imagine a F/A walking up to a passenger and saying "Sir, could you please shut your pacemaker off for a couple of minutes now so that it doesn´t interfere with the flight deck instruments during takeoff?"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

GOT

Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:19 pm

I had the same question earlier this year when I flew GOT-CPH. Excellent weather so I wanted pics of the terminal at GOT, so I simply asked the pilot if I could use my digital camera during take-off and he said that it was ok. Though I will ask next time too when I want to use my camera during t/o, this allowance might not apply to every aircraft/airline/flightcrew and so on.
Ask before and hopefully you get a positive answer  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

GOT

Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

gordonroxburgh

Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:27 pm

Should be fine technically. Although they can ask you not to use it. Only devices that put out signals eg Phones and Transmitters can cause problems.

The main reason for barring everything else is safety. If you have a CD player on you may not hear an emergency announcement and if using a laptop or game machine this could slow down your or other passengers exit times during an emergency.

If in doubt make sure they don't notice its a digital camera....bit of tape accross the LCD!

elwood64151

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:58 pm

Gordon:

All electronic devices give off EM signals. You can measure a clock radio from across the room with an accurate compass. My home computer causes my old-style barometer to fluctuate, sometimes wildly, because of the magnetic interference it gives off.

There are devices that carry an internal sheild against electro-magnetic radiation. They will be clearly marked. These are the only devices permitted on a US aircraft, aside from those necessary for life such as a pacemaker, to operate during takeoff and landing.

The reason they do not want such devices on during t/o or landing is your safety. If the a/c compass is being altered by EM interference; if radio signals are not being heard because someone's cell-phone is blocking them; if radio-direction finding equipment becomes useless due to the interference from the collected devices of 100 passengers, then your safety as a passenger (and, by the way, as a human being anywhere in the world) is in jeopardy.

As for pacemakers, etc, they can't ask for those to be shut off, true. So it's that much more important that other passengers not use their cameras, comcorders, computers, and cell phones when it is not authorized. The cumulative effect could overwhelm the aircraft.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

fritzi

Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:40 pm

Elwood64151,
Could you please tell me how devices that carry an internal shield against radiation are marked.

Continental

Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:10 pm

Yeah, what's gonna happen!? You're gonna take a picture with you digital camera, and all of a sudden the aircraft blows up!?

Continental

EGGD

Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:16 pm

ok:

On Monarch, using my digital camera is ok.
On Air 2000, using my digital camera will crash the plane.
On Kenya Airways, Mobile phone use is encouraged.
On BA, using my digital camera is ok.
On Airtours, using my digital camera will cause me and my fellow travelling compatriots to spontaniously combust.

etc Big grin

portcolumbus

Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:49 pm

Aight Continental, smartass. Just trying to ask a legitimate question here. Thanks to those with helpful answers.

mas a330

Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:09 am

Well, there's only one way to find out...  Innocent

Bruce

Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:45 am

You mean using a camera at times like this?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

I used my digital camera for dozens of shots during the takeoffs/landings of my Southwest flight and never had a problem.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

Happy Shooting~!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

portcolumbus

Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:26 am

Yep, like those. Nice shots by the way.

gordonroxburgh

Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:43 am

One day you may never come back!

Great Shots though

Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:39 am

It is true that some electronic and digital equipment could possibly affect some of the aircraft equipment of up-do-date modern airliners...
xxx
But we are dealing with an age of "overstandization" - hiring cabin staff which could confuse a A-340 with a DC-3 as far as which cabin PA briefing is applicable, and applicable restriction to the aircraft type -
xxx
So, to "overstandize", it is now customary to require flight attendants to ban the use of all such equipment during takeoff and landing, and often for the entire flight - this they do regardless of type of aircraft type...
xxx
Global International Scareways probably has a single standardised cabin boarding PA for their A-321s and Ford Turbo-Trimotors... I hope they standardize their PA for choice of "salted" and "non-salted" peanuts as well...
xxx
(s) Skipper  Wink/being sarcastic

(a pilot who absolutely hates - with passion - to fly as a passenger)

Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:56 am

And I even have fat fingers as an excuse -
o v e r s t a n d a r d i z a t i o n -
my 13 years old boy told me "Papi, what's that word?"
(s) Skipper