backfire

Border Collie: Latest Birdstrike Defence

Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:45 pm

Spent last week at a flight safety conference, and heard that the trendy way to keep birds away from your airport now is to employ a border collie.

More effective than a scarecrow, more fun than a crack-charge, and less likely to get sucked into an engine than a sparrowhawk.

Anyone here got a border collie on 'anti-bird safety patrol' locally?

jwenting

RE: Border Collie: Latest Birdstrike Defence

Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:50 pm

Just flares and noisemakers here.
The hawks were banned by the environmentalists (animal abuse or something like that), the birds here laugh at scarecrows.
I don't think dogs would be allowed either (all that noise must be bad for them kind of thinking...).
I wish I were flying

L-188

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:28 pm

They used to have a big problem with Canadian Geese taking up residence on the island at Lake Hood that seperates the runway channel from the taxi channel.

So for at least a couple of years they would get three pigs and put them out on the island. Little known fact about pigs. They have a liking for Canadian Goose eggs and do a pretty good job of rooting out nests.

I don't think that it has been a problem for a while, since I don't think they have had to put the pigs out there again
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

timdegroot

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:53 pm

"Just flares and noisemakers here.
The hawks were banned by the environmentalists (animal abuse or something like that), the birds here laugh at scarecrows.
I don't think dogs would be allowed either (all that noise must be bad for them kind of thinking...)."

Actually dogs are being used here at AMS as well, and apparently they are very succesfull.

Tim
Alderman Exit