jayhup

Concorde Charter Mentioned In The NY Post

Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:15 am

In my never ending quest for truth in Journalism (that's a joke!) I came across something in Page Six (the gossip column) in the New York Post. It said that Eddie Gilbert (I never heard of him) chartered a Concorde to bring his friends to Europe for his wife's birthday.

If this is true when did this happen? Also, whose Rocket did they use? I know that BA just about have enough a/c for their normal operation and weren't doing charters so this must have been an AF a/c....right?

As usual...any and all information is greatly appreciated....

JH

backfire

RE: Concorde Charter Mentioned In The NY Post

Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:26 am

Ignoring your unnecessary anti-journalism crap (if you want the truth, then why are you reading gossip columns for crying out loud?), I have to say that Eddie Gilbert is -- apparently -- a wrestler or a cricketer. Maybe.

jayhup

Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:22 am

Backfire...

Do you have anything constructive to add or are you offended that I dare to question the integrity of journalists everywhere?

JH

backfire

Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:51 am

Dear Jayhup:

I'm merely suggesting that you might want to be a little less patronising towards professional, hardworking and intelligent journalists, a fair number of whom (such as Pressclub) contribute valuable information to this forum and spend a fair amount of time answering questions (yes, even the dumb ones) from A.net members without being rude and obnoxious.

If you think journalism is "a joke" then why ask a question about something you've read in a paper? And not even a proper story -- just a snippet in a rumour column in a non-aviation publication.

I think most A.net readers would agree that you're more likely to get a helpful answer if you adopt a more respectful tone. You might even get an accurate one from one of the journalists here. I know at least one of them who could answer your Concorde charter query.

As for my own contribution, I've tried to enlighten you as to who Eddie Gilbert is. Which, seeing as you didn't know before, can only have added to your knowledge.

Yours respectfully,

Backfire

ConcordeBoy

Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:26 am

Neither airline has plans for official charters until all aircraft in their fleet are modified and in service (this will be some time because AF's F-BVFF has just begun its 18month D-check and F-BVFA is due for an overhaul).... but I do know that AF has/will currently charter F-BTSD out if the price is right. And it has to be REALLLLLY Right!  Sad
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

gordonroxburgh

Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:15 am

F-BFVA has just complete and 4 mouth check and is back flying. F-BVFF will be flying by this time next year at the latest.

Then AF will consider some charter operations.

BA are working through schedule checks on their 5 "flyers" so only have a maximum of 4 servicable at any once time. They do have some slack available for charters but not enough yet to allow an aircraft to be bassed out of base for a long period of time in case it has an advese effect on the Scheduled services. This is more likely to happen towards the end of next summer when they will have 5 serviceable aircraft.

Hopefully around this time they will start the modifications on G-BOAB, which will open the door to service levels (and charters) that were being carried out post grounding.

I guess if the price is right AF would probably allos you to charter an aircraft. They are doing some 1hr 40 min trip round the Bay of Biscay, in and out of CDG, on Saturdays as they do not run a JRK service of this day.

jayhup

Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if it was an AF Concorde that was chartered?

Backfire...

My initial post was supposed to be humorous and not offensive but I guess you missed that....

JH

GDB

Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:45 am

It certainly wasn't a BA one.
But by 'charter', do they that they bought a bunch of seats on one?
Like a 'charter' back in April which some people on here thought was from Toledo to London, but it was really a bunch of seats brought by a travel company on the usual BA002.

jayhup

Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:52 am

I think they meant charter by saying that the guy chartered the airplane for only his friends. I've worked BA charters in the past that were pure charters and not a block of seats on the scheduled service. I'm curious to know the real story....

JH