DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Cessna Crashes Near ROC, Pilot Killed

Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:15 pm

Dear Gang,

Some very sad news from Rochester tonight. A single-engine Cessna bound from Pittsburgh-Allegheny County to Buffalo crashed 2 mi. short of Rwy 28 near ROC today, on an empty athletic field. The pilot was killed. No one was hurt on the ground.

The area to the east of ROC is very densely populated, with the dorms of the University of Rochester, and the huge Strong Memorial Hospital. This tragedy would have been much, much worse had the plane come down almost anywhere other than exactly where it did. I'll bet the pilot aimed for the field to save lives on the ground. May God rest his soul and comfort his loved ones.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/1114story055425_news.shtml

This is the first fatal crash at ROC I know of since the July 1963 crash of a Mohawk Martin 4-0-4 in a thunderstorm, which killed 7.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

redngold

RE: Cessna Crashes Near ROC, Pilot Killed

Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:36 pm

This is very sad, I hope the pilot died quickly instead of feeling himself burn to death. Thank God that the plane landed where it did. I know that area.

redngold
Up, up and away!

zrb2

Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:04 pm

What a tragic yet amazing story. He probably knew there was no way he could stop safely on a small ballfield, yet he did it anyway to avoid buildings, cars & pedestrians.
It doesn't matter, but I am curious how a flight from the Pittsburgh area to Buffalo ended up east of ROC....assuming there weren't any planned stops along his flight.

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:42 am

Here's today's update:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/1115story4_news.shtml

I wondered about his flight plan too, Dan. The owner of the plane lives in Rochester, so maybe he altered his flight plan to come here for something. The body hadn't been identified as of this afternoon, but his family is fearing the worst.

Witnesses said the plane was quiet as it came down, so he'd presumably already lost power.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos