ROP
Topic Author

Thai Skid Off Runway Again In Malaysian Island

Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:10 pm

Refer to the Thai News Agency, The A300-600 Thai Aiways Jetliner flight TG 429 skid off runway at Penang. any further infos??
If is true..it means they did a strike in 3 months (twice in Trang and one in malaysia)

swissgabe

RE: Thai Skid Off Runway Again In Malaysian Island

Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:43 pm

What happend in Trang? I think earlier they operated with AT7 and now with 734, isn't it?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:17 am

are the pilots trying to do greaser landings or something? whats with all these skids?
Go big or go home

Airbus Lover

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:36 am

Yes I can confirm that they have skid off runway in Penang.. However, since I am busy unfortunately I could not go and take a picture of it... :-(

Airbus Lover

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:06 am

OK I have got the following information:

there were 251 passengers onboard, seems to be pretty full... Operating as TG429 from BKK-PEN... most of the passengers are malaysians...

Plane landed successfully but after turning onto taxiway plane was too fast and skidded of runway. It was wet since it was pouring a while before the A300 landed. Captain did not immediately evacuate passengers but told them that there were 'technical' problems... There were stranded on the plane for MORE THAN ONE HOUR with NO EXTRA FOOD OR DRINKS!!!

The control tower sent some cranes to 'pull' the plane off the runway but it was too heavy. The gears sinked too deeply into the grass. They had to unload all the cargo and luggages before successfully pulling the plane off the grass and back to the gate... The plane is believed to have flown today's TG430 back to Bangkok on the scheduled 8.40am flight. No injuries and plane was not damaged to any extent that would restrict it from flying.

This kinda reminds me of a CX A330 I was on. After landed on PEN from HKG (they used to operate HKG-PEN nonstop) the A330 exited the runway and during the turn the plane's main gear went into the grass and could no longer move. The capt. applied thrust little by little but no effect. He later put thrusts back to idle and waited for a few seconds, then he applies i think almost 50% thrust the engine were roaring and another few secs later the plane was back on the taxiway. One week later, when I flew again, while taxiing I could see the marks left by the plane.. and the mud... grass was 'killed' by the heavy 'Bus ...

Oh well....

Airbus Lover

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:09 am

Ok after speaking to someone from the airport, they have told me the local press' website where a picture could be found. Left main gear was stuck in mud. There you go... I was trying to find out the registration number the whole of this afternoon after school but could not get it...  Sad

Airbus Lover

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:29 am

From another source, I learned that after the plane is parked at the gate, there was a group of airport polices surrouding a MAS B737 on the gate next to it. The press was surprised by that and everyone thought there was something going wrong at Penang Bayan Lepas Int'l Airport... actually the polices were doing their drill (training) of handling a hijacked plane but this time using a real plane i.e. MAS B737...

ROP
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:37 pm

Swissgabe....
Thai skid off runway twice in 3 months in Trang with the 737.. first it was the heavy rain, the pilot excuseed, and the second caused by the thick foggy environ over the airport..

TK

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:06 pm

Airbus Lover,

Very interesting anecdote about the CX A330. I can almost picture it and it must have been quite absurd. What were the other passenger's reaction when it happened??

TK

Airbus Lover

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:49 pm

Well some passengers did not even know anything, as I was in Business class I could see that over the few minutes, FAs were walking in and out of the cockpit... I did however hear other passengers asking what is making the plane stop in the middle of the taxiway amongst others but the FAs were not being asked...