brian_ga

Any New Intl Carriers Coming To ATL Soon?

Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:12 am

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if Atlanta was getting any new International carriers soon?

thanks,
Brian_ga  Smokin cool
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

jrlander

RE: Any New Intl Carriers Coming To ATL Soon?

Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:41 am

I would guess that for the immediate future, any new international carrier that might start service at ATL will be a SkyTeam member and Delta will codeshare.

scottysair

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:08 am

Just please keep guessing with the any of the new international flight nonstop out of ATL. I would guess that will be more flight anytime into the future. Well, catch ya later!!

papatango

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:10 am

With Delta's additional service planned for next summer I don't think any airline wants to test them in ATL.

jcs17

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:15 am

No, probably not. The best that could possibly happen is that KL might start their flights up in the summer again, that it. I suggested that AZ might start service to ATL since theyve joined SkyTeam and that was promptly shot down by everyone.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:23 am

There was something written in small print in last months Airliner magazine about CSA czech airlines commencing flights to ATL. Sounds reasonable to me as CSA is a SkyTeam member.

In Arsene we trust!!

brian_ga

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:52 pm

thank you all

brian_ga  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

srbmod

Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:03 am

We may see some new ones if a new US-UK open skies agreement is reached. Both Virgin Atlantic and bmi British Midland have both applied for LHR-ATL route authority several times in the last few years. CSA could probably come in and do a 3 or 4 time a week service, and Alitalia could come in and take over some of the current codeshare routes to Italy from Delta. BWIA dropped their plan for some flights into ATL as well. KLM could be coming back in the near future, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the airlines that have left in the last few years returns, maybe Varig or JAL. Perhaps with South African's success out of ATL, another African airline may decide to start flying to ATL as well.

MAH4546

Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:18 am

Neither bmi or Virgin Atlantic have set ATL has a priority. Airlines apply for the most random route authorities all the time for the hell of it. Atlanta does not suit Virgin's destination profile at all. They aim for major leisure markets, and Atlanta is not a leisure market. And bmi has already set thier priorities...Chicago, Denver, Miami, Seattle, and Washington Dulles.

Varig and JAL are not returning to ATL. And it's for one simple reason: Delta. Varig pulled out not long after DL started ATL-GRU and JAL pulled out just after DL started ATL-NRT. They simply could not compete.

Atlanta is working very hard to attract African carriers (though SAA's succsses is due to the Delta deal, and little else), and the market for African carriers will grow in the next ten years. They are competing with Miami to get a head start on becoming the US-Africa gateway. I know Ghana Airways has shown interest in ATL, but that was about three years ago. El Al has also shown interest. I believe it was in 2000 that they announced the start of TLV-ATL-MIA-TLV flights, but they never started.

a.