NewSwissair
Topic Author

Tu-154M In Europe

Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:50 pm

Is it true that Tu-154M are allowed to fly to Western Europe only until the end of 2003? They are Stage III aircraft, so why this ban this aircraft from the skies? An MD-80 is as loud as an Tu-154M.

backfire

RE: Tu-154M In Europe

Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:05 pm

It all depends on what is meant by "Stage 3 compliant".

ICAO's General Assembly adopted a resolution in September 2001 which would allow the European Union to ban aircraft at noise-sensitive airports which it felt were just creeping under the Stage 3 limits -- by using hushkits for example.

Aircraft which only meet Stage 3 noise limits by a margin of 5 decibels can be banned at certain EU airports (those worst-affected by noise) because the EU feels that a "true" Stage 3-compliant aircraft is a lot quieter than a modified smoker. It's all about encouraging airlines to respect the spirit of the noise agreements, instead of trying to get off on a technicality.

backfire

Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:42 pm

Incidentally you'll notice that the MD80 isn't exactly flavour of the month in Europe, for precisely this reason. Although I believe that there's a company called Jet Engineering which is developing an MD80 hushkit which will put the aircraft into the ICAO Chapter 4 compliance zone.

MIAspotter

Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:00 am

I have seen the Aeroflot TU 154 in Milan Malpensa a bunch of times and its not that noisy, the AZ MD80s and the Air Malta 732 are way noisier on takeoff than the TU154 which is not that loud.

Just my 2 euro-cents Big grin

Cheers

MIAspotter  Nuts
Nos vamos de Vueling?

fritzi

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:05 am

I had a TU-134 fly over my head once at about 100 ft while it was taking off. Needless to say I had problems hearing for a couple of days after that.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Werner
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Lars Blomberg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos