MIA777

Delivery Questions

Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:47 am

Let's say, hypothetically that a new airliner in Africa starts up and order 4 brand new Embraer 195s...

(by the way I love this plane!)

How would they transport them to Africa? Do they just hop their way over there or do they attatch extra fuel tanks? In other words...how does Embraer transport their new planes (in Brasil I presume...) to distant countries (in this case, southern Africa)?

thanks,
MIA777
MIA777

cfm-56

RE: Delivery Questions

Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:13 am

Extra fuel tanks is one option,another to hop your way through airports where you can gas the baby up.

"In thrust we trust" CFM56

RE: Delivery Questions

Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:02 am

Dear Mia777 -
xxx
Airplane would be probably staged from Natal or Recife on the NE Coast of Brasil - with a fuel stop in Fernando de Noronha Islands (nice runway 6,000 ft) and flying a long overwater leg to Dakar, Senegal, or Sal, Cabo Verde...
xxx
That overwater leg would probably require extra tanks, which would be located in the belly cargo compartment of the aircraft - I do not know the range of the EMB-195 - and what fuel requirements would be...
xxx
The public, by the way, does not realize that the "longest" overater leg, that is the longest distance between 2 points overwater - with "no alternatives" is from Hawaii to California - 2,300 NM distance, the longest "ETOPS".
In comparison, Gander to Shannon is only 1,850 NM distance, with Keflavik as alternate.
For all other routes there are closer alternate airports available...
xxx
Good swimmers required...  Wink/being sarcastic
(s) Skipper