BlueJet
Topic Author

Cold Weather A/C

Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:21 am

Is there a specific commercial aircraft that copes better with frigid temperatures than others? Is there a type of plane that airlines use on cold weather destinations? All info appreciated, thanks in advance

jcs17

RE: Cold Weather A/C

Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:46 am

I dont have specific numbers or anything, but DeHavilland aircraft are famous for being able to handle extreme conditions. The most famous operator of DeHavilland aircraft is Greenland Air (DH7), which flies into Arctic temperatures on a daily basis during the winter. I dont think that the DH8 is as renowned for its cold weather handling as say, the DH7 was, but in Canada & Alaska DeHavilland aircraft often operated with perfect safety records. The DH aircraft air also specially designed to handle less than perfect runway conditions...another requisite for winter flying.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

flyinglen

RE: Cold Weather A/C

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:04 am

I agree that DHC makes the best cold weather planes. Just look at when Kenn Borek's Twin Otter's were tasked to rescue an ailing doctor in Antarctica last winter, even Herc's wouldn't be up to the task. DHC-6s are in routine use in the Arctic and Antarctic.