bigmo747

Air Canada--the Best In North America?

Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:40 am

So i'm driving to work and on the NJ turnpike (between exits 13-14) there's a huge bilboard saying that Air Canada has been voted the best airline in North America. I didn't see anywhere on the sign by who. I've flown EWR-YYZ a number of times on Air Canada--it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. I've had better times on Continental. Anybody know who voted Air Canada the best in North America???

Regards

Peter_A330

RE: Air Canada--the Best In North America?

Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:45 am

Air Canada's marketing department?!!

bigmo747

Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:56 am

That was funny--LOL.

B747-437B

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:03 am

Air Canada maintains a list of all awards that it has received at :

http://www.aircanada.ca/about-us/media/facts/awards.html
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

AC330

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:09 am

They were voted the best airline in North America by OAG (The Official Airline Guide) and myself I think they are a fantastic airline.

AC330

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:11 am

and myself I think they are a fantastic airline.

indeed!
fuddle duddle

AC340

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:15 am

and myself I think they are a fantastic airline.

indeed!

I concur as well.  Big thumbs up

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:25 am

lol, this is interesting: If only I posted first, followed by AC330, then AC340. Would have been the most ordered 3 posts in A.net history!
fuddle duddle

Marco

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:37 am

LOL AC320, that's exactly what I was thinking! Big grin
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:43 am

I traveled with them in September/October, initially with low expectations following all the post-merger screw-up stories I heard.

AC actually turned out to be better than I expected. Granted, you won't get fawned over or pampered in coach, but I got something hot to eat on each leg of the flight (even if it was pizza on the domestic legs), and everyone I dealt with was at least courteous, sometimes even outright friendly.

Maybe the company is actually doing something to improve its image.

brons2

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:44 am

Best airline in North America? You mean, the one with no PTV's on their A330's to Europe? No, thank you.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

slawko

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:12 am

Yeah thats the one, the one that has seat pitch in coach that rivals even the "more room through coach" airline, the one that actually feeds you on a flight that is more then an hour long.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

YVR74

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:24 am

For flying within North America, Air Canada has my vote hands down.

I have been a flying passenger for the last 20 years. Up until 3 years ago I only had flown US carriers within North America. Now that I live in Vancouver, I have been using Air Canada.

I can't speak for short flights, since most of my flights have been wide-body flights from YVR to YYZ or flights to points further east from YVR. Just like with any airline, I have had fantastic experiences with Air Canada and conversely I have had one awful experience with Air Canada and their ground staff at YYZ, but overall their service has been consistently better than the US carriers I have flown domestically since I began flying.

Most of my flights have been on the B767 with Air Canada; and the three points that have made me favour them are more room in coach than US carriers, further seat recline in coach than US carriers, and flight attendants ensuring the passenger in front of you has his/her seatback up during meal service (A thread of its own which has previously been debated with fiery vehemence).

Cheers

a380

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:30 am

I guess AC is the first in a 'second division' or AAA-ball.

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:31 am

One major factor which is helping Air Canada maintain its coveted position in the industry is the addition of the all the wonderful and experienced
CANADI>N AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL flight deck crew, cabin crew, pax
service agents, res staff, ground and maintenance workers.

These men and women have brought their "Proud Wings" into the Maple
Leaf fold, and are instrumental in providing the best service they can to
the passenger. They brought with them the excellent legacy inherited
from the CP Air / Canadian Pacific-Pacifique / Wardair Canada Ltd. /
Pacific Western Airlines / Eastern Provincial Airlines teams.

"Proud Wings", the name, like Canadi>n, may be gone, but its spirit and legacy live on in the minds of the thousands of ex-CP employees, who, day in and day out, are now contributing to the sontinued success of Air Canada.

Bear that in mind, Mr, Milton and all you AC union boys. Allow that to bypass the forked tongues and double-standards. Put that in your pipes and smoke it.

RIX

Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:17 am

Well, I'm not a frequent flyer within North America but my by far the best flying experience was with Delta Shuttle 737-800 and Delta 767-400. Air Canada? Shiny and terribly cramped A319, very clean and nice DHC8-100 (actually, Air Nova), just clean and... well, just clean CRJ. Food? The same "snack" as on any US carrier (except, of course, Delta Shuttle). Still, much better than AA domestic but, well, hardly better than Delta... Never flew with them outside North America.

ramprat

Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:26 am

Canadian Boy, i beg to differ about the supposed ex-Canadian staff making the difference. Here in Calgary we have only had Air Canada ground staff and things worked quite well here, with very little complaints from customers. Now we are inheriting some rampies from Vancouver due to layoffs and bumping the junior staff, and let me say, they go out of their way to screw things up, not all of them, but unlike anything we have seen here before. One guy shows up here on his first day wearing a Canadian airlines sweatshirt and prononuncing that he is only here because he has to be. Fine, whatever, then he starts throwing bags in the wrong cans for a flight to YYZ. I ask him what he is doing, and he says, "as long as they get to Toronto, i dont care past that, let them deal with it" If this is the Canadian attitude, the other stations can keep their precious ex-Canadian employees. Not that all of them are bad, like i said before, some of them are great to work with, but i find many more of them compared to Air Canada employees lacking in the service area. Not that all Air Canada originals are great either, but there seems to be fewer of the so called bad seeds.

Rai

Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:57 am

I agree with you Big Mo. I fly to Canada at least 10 times a year with various air carriers. From YYZ/YUL/YOW-NYC, I've flown with a few American carriers and AC. I haven't experienced anything spectacular about AC's service, and certainly not any better on any American carriers I have flown with. My AC YOW-LGA flight a few months ago it may have been the worst flight I have ever been on.

I think they have a good international product though. Each time I've flown to Europe with them, I've been satisfied with the service...except on a YYZ-FRA flight a few years back. But most of the others were quite good.

Also, I think AC's service depends where the crew is from. If you fly with an Eastern Canadian crew, they seem much more snarley and rude. Western Canadian crews and so much more pleasant and chipper.

Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:07 am

Ramprat, indeed, and unfortunately, yes there are more than a few "bad
Canadi>n seeds". Every carrier has them, and Canadi>n was no exception.
Of course there are many dedicated and wonderful Air Canada crews, and
I apologize for displaying a biased, one-tracked mind in my above statement.

I won't excuse the unprofessionalism of your ex-CP co-workers, and I certainly don't condone such behaviour. The past is the past, and it's one carrier now. Period.

And no, this is not the overall attitude, per se, with all of the ex-CP employees. To be fair, I have been on many many AC flights since the
takeover, and have encountered extremely hostile AC crews (in regards to
CP). God only knows how the seniority issue is going to be resolved. In short, it's a hell of a mess. But you can be sure of one thing: the animosity between CP and AC crews is going to simmer, boil, and linger for quite some time to come.

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:07 am

Air Canada = A nation airline, but tasteless inflight service (compare with other world class airline like: CO, BA, SQ, JL... Way below the international standard! From a passenager point of view, I pay for the ticket, so all I care about is the quality of the flight. Because our ticket is where most of thier profits come from... Shouldn't they improve the inflight service quality?!?! When the travel agents told me AC and CX flight HKG-YVR are at the same price last summer, I felt a little mad about AC, and of coz I choosen CX at last.

I wish they'll add PTV, better meals (No more snack when it's suppost to be lunch) and get rid of thos Zip's 737-200 and train thier flight attendent to be more professional!

Since Air Canada won so many award from the industry, I do like to see a "Inflight Service Award" in thier list in the near future.

hmmmm...

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:10 am

For service, Air Canada, nor any other western carrier, can ever rival Asian carriers in the "let-me-give-you-a-rub-and-a-blow-job" category. And yes, Quebec-based flight attendants can be just plain rude. But that's a Quebec thing.

What the passenger sees are the frills. But airlines should not be judged by the frills alone. At 585 mph, at 37,000 feet, there are much bigger fish to fry than that. Some things are more important than others, and Air Canada is usually tops in the things that matter most: cleanliness, technical proficiency, professional competence, and the all important maintenance safety category. Probably even better than Swissair or Lufthansa. Year in and year out. Why should Air Canada be any better than so many other airlines? I have no idea. But it seems to always be the case.

These are the things upon which all airlines should be compared and judged. If you gave a score for each category, Air Canada would average out to be one of the best in the world. Despite the fact that there are no PTVs, and you will not be getting any French kisses from any of the flight attendants.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:20 am

"For service, Air Canada, nor any other western carrier, can ever rival Asian carriers"

Not only asian carrier as an example, there are western carrier with good service too... Like: Continental Airlines, LanChile Airlines, Qantas Airways, SAS, Virgin Atlantic Airways..... etc. Why can't Air Canada be one of them?

Rai

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:27 am

For service, Air Canada, nor any other western carrier, can ever rival Asian carriers in the "let-me-give-you-a-rub-and-a-blow-job" category

Dude, have you ever flown an Asian carrier before? That's pretty low. Western carriers could learn a thing or two about service from those "FA whores". Even KE, which has a notoriously bad safety record, has inflight service that's lightyears better than anything AC offers. And that doesn't include the blowjob.

Air Canada is usually tops in the things that matter most: cleanliness, technical proficiency, professional competence, and the all important maintenance safety category.

Funny. On my last flight, the plane smelt like piss. And that's not a joke. I even told the FA and she laughed like it was funny...it wasn't.

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:27 am

Quebec-based flight attendants can be just plain rude. But that's a Quebec thing? No way! This is not just the Quebec thing! This related to the whole company direction! Think about it as a passenager.

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:42 am

BTW..... AC is not a low fare airlines~ They charge the same price as other "higher quality" international carrier on international routes, I wonder why they treat passenager like this...
And many airlines have good maintenance safety, cleanliness, technical proficiency and professional competence like AC does, but the most important thing is they DO have GOOD inflight service and AC DO NOT.

hmmmm...

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:51 am

Western carriers could learn a thing or two about service from those "FA whores". Exactly my point. What did you think I was saying? Get your mind out of the gutter.

Rai

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:14 am

I just think your tone regarding Asian carrier FA's is a bit derogatory.

hmmmm...

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:36 am

My point was that Asian carriers have extreme levels of cabin service relative to western carriers. How is it that you interpreted that as an insult? Sometimes it doesn't pay to get out of bed in the morning.

Rai

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:27 am

The "blowjob" comment was a bit unnecessary...even if it was a joke and even if their service is excessive.

Dash8King

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:38 am

Funny. On my last flight, the plane smelt like piss. And that's not a joke. I even told the FA and she laughed like it was funny...it wasn't.

Lol Rai!

Marco

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:42 am

the one that actually feeds you on a flight that is more then an hour long

My parents flew Montreal-Chicago a couple of months ago ( a two hour flight) and got NOTHING. On a similar flight on EK/SQ/etc, they would have gotten a full meal. I'm not complaining but when it comes to service there's no way you can compare North American airlines to European/Asian airlines!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

lymanm

Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:12 pm

I think offereing nothing more than annectdotal evidence to prove that AC or any other carrier is better is simply preposterous. It's useless, irrelevent and highly subjective:

"Yknow, once I was on Korean Air and I found the food awful and the cabin was too hot, and I thought the FA was rude. To make things worse, we were quite late departing. But a week later I took an AC flight, and the food was SO good, the FA was hot and I got to watch CBC news. So I guess AC is by far the better airline."
buhh bye

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:35 pm

Not only European/Asian airlines AC cannot compare with, also South American, Australian, Middle East and African airlines!! Actually, talking about service, AC is way back behide, You see.... CO, AA and Jetblue are also North American airlines, thier service are way ahead of AC. So, this is not the matter of airlines in America... Is the matter of airlines in Canada. Airlines from anywhere else (except canada) can do better then AC, why? AC is such a big company, other airlines with such size would have gone ahead so far already, AC can do better then what they're doing right now!

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:46 pm

FA were hot on AC international flights? I hope you're not blinded mister, FA on all AC flights are old ladies... Maybe Hot Old Ladies... Watching CBC news and other programs from the main cabin monitor? No, thank you~! The food onboard the AC flight is good becoz of the local catering at Incheon, check out the food on outbound canada flights... PUKE!

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:49 pm

It depends on experiences I'd say. My personal experiences with AC would have me voting it best North American airline in a heartbeat. All my flights have been on clean aircraft, with friendly flight attendants (Yes even the Quebecois ones), on-time even early performance, excellent entertainment with fantastic radio selections and great CBC tidbits, sitcoms, and "interesting" movies (sometimes AC seems to go out of its way to find the most obscure movies out there, but they can be enjoyable), and fantastic, fantastic, fantastic food.

My last flight on them was MIA-YUL and back, and going up was a "snack" flight, but my snack was a chicken caesar salad, with a nice sized chunk of chicken, some cold macaroni in some creamy, tangy sauce (yummy), fresh fruit cup, and a cinnamon roll. The return flight was a breakfast one with an absolutely delightful omelette. The best part: Who doesn't love EnRoute Magazine? Always a great read, and they usually have nice stuff for sale through their inflight, duty-free boutique.

What am I looking forward to on my next AC flight? I'll be old enough to drink (I'm 19 come sunday)! Tell you what, when we get airborne I'm ordering a Canadian beer or two (blasphemy but I've never had a Molson or Labatt) , an a double helping of some Crown Royal if the have it, after all who can fly on just one wing?

AC seems to be striving to improve it, as its new cabin interiors and new Executive First service product demonstrate, I say in 5 years they'll be lightyears ahead of where they are now.
fuddle duddle

Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:40 pm

Marco wrote: "...no way you can compare North American airlines to European/Asian airlines!"

Indeed you can't. Airlines in North America are a form of mass-transit, catering to not just businesspeople, but also university students, twentysomethings visiting a friend for a long weekend and just about everyone else not poor enough to be on welfare (and possibly a few who are).

They make up for North America's lack of a viable intercity rail service. (Trains literally make up only about 1% of all intercity passenger traffic in Canada; the distances -- e.g., about 3,300 kilometres from Toronto to Vancouver -- are simply too great.)

I suspect culture also plays a role. Both Canada and the United States are egalitarian societies, with active judiciaries capable of ordering companies to shelve what judges perceive to be discriminatory policies, even to overturn laws passed by elected governments (not necessarily a bad thing, either). You can't justify sacking older flight attendants just to keep fresh faces in supply.

The egalitarianism spills over into other areas. It essentially puts customer and employee on the same level with one another, as equals. At my office, for example, everyone is on a first-name basis -- often even the customers; in North America, 'Mr. so-and-so' and 'Ms. so-and-so' has become passé. Europe and Asia have different cultures, however, and it shouldn't be surprising that these cultural differences result in differences in customer service.

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:55 pm

Of coz you think Air Canada is the best, since you're canadian yourself and i don't know how many airlines you have been on so far, Air Canada is the only big representatives of canada, I can see why you think this way and you don't have a 2nd choice to choose other then AC.

"I didn't get to watch a favourite movie onboard my Air Canada flight"?! Haha~ I don't care~ I enjoy my favourite movie at home or in a cinama, and i don't bother to look at that main monitor in the cabin. Have you heard of "Video On-Demand Systems" ?

"Hmmmm..." : If you ever go on some other airlines instead of AC... You'll understand why I dislike AC so much!

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:13 pm

Lymanm:

"Windows were all iced up"
-Window icing happen on any flight, do you know any airmanship? it has nothing to do with the airline.

"it was an old 747-400"
-CX fleets average age are younger then AC... (can anyone tell me the age of AC's oldest 737-200?)
CX only operate B747-400, B747-400F, B777-200, B777-300, A330-300, A340-300 and A340-600 on order.

"Captian was really nice on the PA"
-Haha! Anyone can be nice on the PA, the PA anouncement in the shopping mall are nice too... haha

"there was no turbulence at all!"
-Aircraft pick up turbulence, NOT airline pick up turbulence, it has nothing to do with the airline. Do you know any physic or meteorology?

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:18 pm

Erm, you do realize AC aquired the 737's only through the merger with Canadian and never actually operated them before?

PS- good thing you aren't a fish, because you took the bait again.
fuddle duddle

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:31 pm

"they speak better french than ANY crew on CX"
-Not all country and cities speak french. Does all AC cabin crew speak good french? does all inbound canada flights need good french speaker onboard? this is very "self centered" saying!

CX does REALLY bad is that their pilots always land hard, whereas AC planes always land smooth. So, I conclude AC has better pilots than CX.

- This is a very childlish things to say and to judge an airline pilot skill, why don't you go to join the FAA

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:34 pm

AC aquired the 737's only through the merger with Canadian and never actually operated them before?

But somehow they ARE operating them NOW. And they are keeping them.

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:39 pm

Exactly, putting them to use mostly on low-cost carrier spinoffs and sports charters to make money off those old work-horses. It's called smart business and making the best use of your resources.

fuddle duddle

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:45 pm

"The CX interior was drab, the windows were all iced up"

"Now in comparison, on CX, it smells like Hong Kong harbour and they serve gross seaweed! I don't call that a meal!!!!"

"CX does REALLY bad is that their pilots always land hard, whereas AC planes always land smooth. So, I conclude AC has better pilots than CX."

"I don't know why Hong Kong airlines can't match AC."

Come from the bottom of this nonsense topic: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/968735/

captaingomes

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:48 pm

A few days ago I decided to fly on CX to Hong Kong and back on Air Canada a few days later. I'm writing a report for university to compare both airlines. CX was late, and the pilot sounded tired, so I couldn't sleep the whole time thinking the pilot was tired. The food was cold when I got it, and every time I went to the washroom, it smelled like gas. I also got lots of gas on that flight. It was terrible! It was worse when it got trapped under the blanket, then escaped all at once. I think CX purposely serves food which gives passengers too much gas. On AC on the way back, it was much better, I never got gas, the pilot sounded alert, and Lymamn, you're right, the AC landing was much smoother. I guess AC really does have better pilots. And they're not sleepy. Also, AC flew back quicker than CX on the way to Hong Kong. Why does CX take so long? Don't they know the way??? CX is a joke compared to AC, sorry HKniceguy.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:52 pm

Smart business? Most of the low fare airlines do not use 737-200 anymore, they can found more advantage aquire newer aircrafts like the A320 family and 737NG as thier low fare money maker. Old work-horses... haha

AC320

Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:54 pm

Hkniceguy, you don't even deserve the dignity of a rebuttal to the foolishness and ignorance you are exhibiting.
fuddle duddle

Rai

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:51 pm

I've never flown AC to HK, but I flew with CP and their service was spectacular! I'd say it was on par with CX's, which I also thought was phenomenal. My dad goes to HK a lot and has flown with with AC and CX. He said the service on AC has been mixed. He liked CX's service, but he last flew that a few years ago. He now exclusively flies AC to Asia because because the points.

Too bad CP ain't around no more.  Sad I miss those goose 744's.

Usually when I go to Asia, I'll fly KE, which I also think is a great airline...just don't eat their chicken...LOL.

The Coachman

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:52 pm

Could he be a slightly more ignorant version of United Airline? Big grin
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

hkniceguy

Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:55 pm

Don't wanna argue with kids, check this our yourself~ Best staff 2002 AC is not even in the list! Coz Westjet best them!

http://www.airlinequality.com/

The Coachman

Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:00 pm

you won't find many people using airlinequality.com as a definitive survey...if you look closely at their ratings, they just don't make sense.
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos