MAH4546
Topic Author

AA Pulls Raleigh-San Jose

Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:35 am

American Airlines has pulled Raleigh/Durham-San Jose flights. No official announcement, but they are no longer in the res system. The flight was to start 2 March 2003 as a daily 737-800. AA's other new winter routes will continue as planned. For those who care, those are:

Boston-Cancun
Boston-Las Vegas
Chicago-Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles-Vail/Eagle, Colorado*
Miami-Charlotte
Miami-Las Vegas
Miami-Punta Cana
New York JFK-La Romana*
New York JFK-San Jose, Costa Rica*
New York LaGuardia-Ft. Meyers*
Raleigh/Durham-San Juan
St. Louis-Lafayette, Indiana

*Seasonal (list does not include returning seasonal routes; i.e. MIA-EGE)
a.

SegmentKing

RE: AA Pulls Raleigh-San Jose

Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:37 am

FORT MYERS!!!!

only one E!! I'd expect a fellow floridian to know how to spell our cities correctly :P

although keep typing Tallahassee over and over and over again.. see how long it takes you to mess it up.. heh :P
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Big777jet

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:00 am

St. Louis to Lafayette, Indiana? I don't think so. American doesn't fly there. I think it's American Eagle using EMB-145 jet. Not American jets. Is that correct?

Big777jet

Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:39 am

It is operating as an American connection flight using Saab aircraft....

chepos

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:11 am

I thought the SJU-RDU flight was going to be seasonal ?
I wonder how the CUN-BOS route will do ?
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

chrisnh

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:20 am

Also of interest is this: the Saturday-only Boston-Santo Domingo flight will be upgraded from a 757 to a 777. That is pretty impressive, albeit only for a Saturday flight.

Trvlr

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:37 am

A minor caveat: This actually has happened before. Right after the SJC-RDU flight was announced, it was uploaded into the res system. However, after a few days, it dissapeared, only to reappear the next week. Now, it seems to have disappeared again. Let's wait a few days and see what happens.

Aaron G.

LV

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:56 am

Wow, they are going to start an STL-LAF flight. I'm amazed anybody flies out of LAF with IND only 45 mins. away

Boiler Special

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:18 am

STL-LAF will be operated by Corporate J31s three times a day. The convenience of flying out of LAF with comparable fares to Indianapolis should make the new route a success.

cedarjet

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:21 am

They're really sticking it to USAirways. I heard US were doing rather well on CLT - Caribbean and Latin America, AA have a massive operation to that neck of the woods from MIA, and CLT-MIA will take some of that traffic. Ditto Raleigh to San Juan. Poor old US just can't get a break.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ContinentalEWR

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:21 am

Look for a major downsizing of the SJC operation. I read a press release about American's cost cutting efforts that would include less emphasis on flying to and from Silicon Valley and other former employment hot spots, and focus on long-haul flying to increase aircraft utilization.

ContinentalEWR

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:58 am

ContinentalEWR is right. The biggest cuts will be in San Jose and Austin, and Raleigh-Durham fits the profile of those two cities as well, although I do not think Raleigh will see big cuts.

Apparently, there will be a major increasing in flying to Mexico from all thier hubs, including many new routes (such as already announced ORD-PVR and BOS-CUN; and MIA-CZM is rumoured to be coming, among others).

Also, lot's of extra Caribbean flying from MIA, JFK, and BOS. Some frequency cuts on MIA-Central America (nothing major; MIA-GUA/MGA/SAL/PTY are each loosing only two weekly frequencies) and capacity cuts to South America (but not frequency; like DFW-CCS and two MIA-CCS flights down to a 738 [Colombia and Ecuador are healthy, however]). Though they may be entering two new markets by the end of 2003, those being Valencia, Venezuela (that totally depends on if or not Venezuela's economy and traffic recovers) and Liberia, Costa Rica.

Leisure routes are key this winter, as evidenced by BOS-LAS, MIA-LAS, and LAX-EGE.

St. Louis will suffer in terms of capacity, because rumours are they are going to be making STL something like 45% RJs.

New European routes too, like JFK-FCO and JFK-BCN. Hopefully that will not be all.

In the end, MIA and JFK will likely see the bulk of the benefits; SJC and AUS will suffer the most, as mentioned. ORD and DFW probably won't feel the route changes that hard, and neither will STL, but STL will see a lot of RJs (like on STL-IAH and STL-CLT, the two most recent all-RJ switches).
a.