AvObserver
Topic Author

RE: Aviation Week Links - Prelude To Trade War?

Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:17 am

I'm amazed nobody has an opinion on these issues. Too much to read?

fpdonald

Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:42 am

Claude Debussy
Prelude a "L'Apres-midi d'un faune"
http://classicalmus.hispeed.com/articles/debussyfaun.html

A little music while you read . . . while on the subject of Prelude.

Arrow

Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:33 am

OK -- I read it all.

I suspect no one wants to bite this because it will inevitably degenerate into an ad nauseum Airbus/Boeing battle over who gets the biggest subsidies, and what should be done about it. While they're at it, they can add the Bombardier/Embraer Little League trade war to the discussion as well -- same battle, different countries, smaller stakes.

There are no innocents in this debate. Politicians in all countries act in their own self-interest -- and that means they wrap themselves in the flag and do whatever is necessary to protect the jobs of their constituents, never mind what's right and what's fair. Europe subsidizes Airbus, and its farmers? Sure it does. And the U.S. subsidizes its farmers, or protects its steelworkers and sawmill workers with indefensible tariffs. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

This is just one more lobby group doing its damndest to tilt the playing field in its own direction. Or, if it can't win by the rules as they're written, get them changed so they can win. You can bet there's a European equivalent now gearing up for the battle.

Happens all over the world, sadly. Wish I knew what the answer was.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.