Asian Markings

Sun Nov 01, 1998 7:39 pm

Why is it that at least 2-3 aircraft in the fleets of some european airlines have the word "Asia" written after the normal logo i.e. "Swissair Asia" or "KLM Asia" or "British Asia Airways", and in most cases instead of the airline's normal motif on the tailfin, there is usually a chinese character of some sort? Anyone know why?-It's a question that's baffled me for ages.
Thanks.

RE: Asian Markings

Sun Nov 01, 1998 9:32 pm

This is a very common question...
ok...let me try to answer your question.

For example: "British Asia Airways" is a subsidiary of "British Airways". The reason why they do that is to be able to fly to Taiwan. Because of some historical and politically reasons, Taiwan hasn't really been recognised by most of the nations in the World. And also if airlines fly to Taiwan with it's national flag, it's like 'that country agrees that Taiwan is a country' and China will not be happy. So far, I hope I don't confuse you!!!

Now, airlines try to avoid to be involved in political and historical conflicts, therefore they set up another subsidiary airline which could represent them to fly to Taiwan and also can avoid the conflicts.

I hope I answered your question!

Sun Nov 01, 1998 10:51 pm

I thought they do that because china dont want the same airlines to land in Taipei an in Beijing ?

Mon Nov 02, 1998 2:58 am

I thought it was just an airline franchise so they get the benifits of the name. Like Virgin Express or United UK. I thought it represanted the region be flown out of.

Interflug

Mon Nov 02, 1998 5:10 pm

The first reply is the correct one. I fly for Qantas and up until recently all our services to Taipei were operated by a subsidary called Australia Asia Airways. As little as possible of QF identification was used. Female FA's were not allowed to wear their kangaroo printed blouses on these duties. Since relaxation of political ties, QF can now operate to TPE under their own name and branding.

CX747

Tue Nov 03, 1998 1:00 am

The asian on the side means they are the airlines subsidy in Asia. They must have that in order to operate to Asian cities.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower