bigphilnyc

Flying Help (Fares, Airline Choices)

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:03 pm

I don't fly very often, and I want to go to Austin Texas in January for about two weeks.

I am really broke and need as inexpensive of a ticket as possible.

I was wondering if you folks had any good ideas on how I can get a cheap fare or what airline to take.

I would like to leave form La Guardia.
Phil Derner Jr.

174thfwff

RE: Flying Help (Fares, Airline Choices)

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:15 pm

I remember a long time ago, I actually bought some guys cupons for flights on Ebay. I don't know if it's allowed anymore, but I would check it out!

Also orbtiz.com

-174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

JBLUA320

Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:09 pm

Trek to EWR and go CO.. its your best bet.

Or try booking thru NW on a codeshare.....

JBLU

sllevin

Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:26 pm

American has LGA-AUS direct (stopping in HOU, but no change of planes) twice a day, and a ton of one-stop options.

Steve

bigphilnyc

Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:28 am

What about prices Sllevin? Cheap?
Phil Derner Jr.

txagkuwait

Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:24 am

You didn't say exactly when in january, but looking at Southwest from Long Island/Islip....leave around the 7th, come back around the 21st, I can find a RT for $236.50 and that includes all the taxes, security fees, airport charges, what have you.

So you can find something a few bucks cheaper on somebody else? Okay fine. But stew on this.....

Your plans change. The folks you were going to see can't host you. You get the flu. Your ground transportation craps out.

If you are flying anyone else you have just eaten that ticket, or at the very least are paying $100 or more to change it to another day.

That money you have given Southwest is good for a full year on any flight, at any time, and for any passenger you wish to let have your credit. The worst thing that can happen is you can't find any cheap seats when you get ready to rebook and it costs you a few bucks. The credit from an unused ticket on Southwest is like a bank account where the money is good for a year. Right now I've got about $180 in their "bank".....but you know, among other reasons, that's why I book them. Sometimes a cartel carrier might undercut them, by only a few dollars, but the risk of me having to alter my arrangements (with work, a set of twins, normal suburban life) is so high that it really, really never makes sense to fly on anyone else.

Plus I still rank their coach cabin comfort and service light years ahead of anyone else's....American's MRTC is a slightly more comfortable coach cabin, but a single beverage service on a 3 hr ride is not what I call the ultimate in cabin service. I hate to beg for a second Dr Pepper.

And that flexibility might be the absolute best advantage to flying Southwest. By the way, if you are on Airliners.net you probably like aircraft and airlines and spotting...the WN routing lets you change at BNA in one direction and BWI in the other, if you so desire.

Take care and have a good trip. Stay out of trouble in Austin and whatever you do, don't go down to 6th Street.

Airplanelover

Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:07 am

Well I can give you three options. Either 1.Try Priceline. It can be very helpful. www.priceline.com I'm sure you have heard of that. or Hotwire can be good also.

2. The cheapest out of LGA, EWR, or JFK I could find is $318.oo on Continental. LGA-IAH-AUS-IAH-LGA

3. I also found $289.00 on Northwest out of Islip. It would be a Continental Codeshare. So I would try Priceline for 200.00, get a ticket for $230.00 w/ taxes and etc.

gregjet

Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:16 am

look online at expidea.com cheaptickets.com or orbiz.com

sllevin

Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:49 am

When you are flexible in dates, Travelocity has the cool 'fare search' option that lets you see what the lowest possible fares are in a broad date range, and then allows you to see if there's still availability, etc.

Right now, though, new discount fares aren't loaded yet for travel beyond 1/6/2003. Another very cool choice if they hold the fares, though, is Midwest Express, showing a $261.00 fare and non-stop service.

Steve

Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:03 am

MidEx service is direct, via MCI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos