OneWorld: No New Members Now

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:19 am

On the annual meeting of the oneWorld Alliance in Madrid, the alliance has decided that no new members will be recruiting for now.

The alliance's priority is to deepening the relationship between the 8 members.

This is a blow to SWISS, the airline hopes to enter oneWorld through the proposed tie with BA. Swiss now has ties with AA.

It may also suggesting that Air New Zealand may not join oneWorld for the moment, if Qnatas/ANZ deal is reached.

But in the long term, the alliance will still welcome new members.

The latest addition to oneWorld will be LanEcuador, since the airline belongs to LanChile.

B-HXB

RE: OneWorld: No New Members Now

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:48 am

The last thing oneworld needs is another European member.... especially one who doesn't look like it can pull its weight.

CXCPA

Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:37 pm

What's wrong with Oneworld?!

ContinentalEWR

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:02 pm

It makes sense that Swiss isn't going to be accepted into OneWorld just now. The airline is struggling financially and has not really come out of the shadows of its predecessor. I don't think Swiss as it exists today can continue on its current path. With Crossair, it is Europe's fourth largest airline, which is really ridiculous, given Switzerland's high costs of operation, exclusion from the EU, small population base, and the on-going slump in global aviation.

I think Swiss should ground the MD-11 fleet, take the A340's, reduce the size of the A320 family of jets, and use more ERJ's for low-margin, short-hops and stop focusing exclusively on being a premium-brand carrier only. It should just focus on being the good, reliable airline it always was.

ContinentalEWR

blink182

Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:26 am

This is why I have always been worried about Swiss and oneworld. I don't think Swiss financially can make it and be an asset to the alliance, once it starts making profits, then yes, I do think it could be a valuable asset, but they aren't making profits now and probably won't be for a few years.

For LanEcuador, will it actually be in the oneworld advertisements, thus becoming its 9th member? Or will it take on the role of American Eagle and Air Nostrum operating under the banners of American and Iberia respectively, albeit for Lan Chile?

The next member for oneworld needs to come from Asia, preferably China Eastern in China or JAL in Japan. Cathay Pacfic can't cover all of Asia themselves. Beijing and Tokyo are big markets, and Tokyo already has Star jumping all over it. Oneworld needs do all they can to grab JAL.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

donder10

Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:36 am

Aren't some of these 'alliances' merely slowly turning into effective cartels?

blink182

Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:58 am

Swiss and American just recieved anti-trust immunity from the US Government since my first post, so this maybe could change.

blink

Bicoastal

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:21 am

And my favorite alliance, Star, keeps adding members. Next year we welcome Asiana, LOT and Spanair. Maybe Oneworld isn't adding members because no airline, other than a faltering Swiss, wants to join it.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:57 am

..... or, maybe because they dont want any airline!

One(HEATHRO)World tends to pride itself of the unmatcheable quality of its carriers. That's about all it has going for it....

SkyTeam boasts the fact that its members are the most integrated of the three alliances, providing seemless travel. Too bad they seem to have forgotten about Asians in that claim...

Star boasts many multiple members en masse.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

blink182

Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:42 am

Bicoastal-
I don't want to get into a oneworld vs. Star battle here, but I'd stick to an alliance who's airlines continue to offer good service and are more concerned about making interior improvements rather than having 50 billion airlines.

blink