sleekjet

Runway Incursion At DFW

Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:32 am

II Cor. 4:17-18

clickhappy

RE: Runway Incursion At DFW

Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:46 am

weak. you have to sign-up to read it.

Prob. some desperate Ai.net photog trying to get some new angles to avoid shot rejections  Big thumbs up

Hole_Courtney

Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:02 am

Doesn't exactly sound like it was that bad. The plane stopped 4,000 feet from the vehicles according to the news report.

Aside from the aborted take off, I can't see why this is a big deal. That runway is 13,000 Ft long, I think (I'm pretty sure the extension is complete.)

While it is lame that the plane had to stop, it seems to me like the whole situation is over-exaggerated. But, what do I know?

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

flyf15

Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:30 am

Hole_courtney,

Runway incursions are very serious things. Although it may not sound like it, what if the fact that the vehicles where there was not known until too late...airliners slamming into large heavy objects at takeoff/landing speeds is not usually a good thing.

I'm sorry if I sound pushy about it or anything, its just that us pilots are very concerned about runway incursions and they happen all too often. Luckily though, they often end up without an accident.

aa61hvy

Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:19 am

since when has AA flown a 777 to LAX from dfw?
so the incursion was done by the trucks?
Go big or go home

Hole_Courtney

Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:51 pm

Hey, it's all cool, not pushy at all.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

elwood64151

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:06 am

Runway incursions are dangerous. Here at MCI a few years back we had a herd of deer (about 40 of 'em) on runway 1L/19R. Several aborted landings that night until they could scare off the herd.

Many of you have seen (and I'm sure some experienced) what a deer can do to a car or pickup truck. Imagine what it could do to the wings, landing gear and engines of an aircraft!

Runway Incursion = Oh $#!T!!!!
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

PW100

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:45 am

Runway incursions are extremely dangerous and can never ever be dismissed as "no big deal". It's all about safety off-course. I do not need to remind anyone here what happens if a large transport aircraft hits a car or whatever at 100+ knots [remember Tenerife KL/PA, remember Taiwan SQ].
Runway excursions can NOT be dismissed as something like an engine failure. I mean engines are designed not to fail. But once and a while they do. Therefore all transport aircraft are required to have at least two engines. When one fails, there's a back-up system. Basically this is the case with everthing in aviation. If one thing or system or procedure fails, there are other things or systems or procedures that will provide a satisfactory [but reduced] level of operational safety.

In a runway incursion, no matter how innocent [if possible at all...], ALL things or systems or procedures have failed, and the only reason that no serious accident has happened basically is pure luck. This is not were we want to be in aviation. It's like a dual engine failure on an A330 over the Atlantic ocean. You're out of options. A runway incursion means that ALL line of defences have failed. Therefore a runway incursion is extremely scary.

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

jhooper

Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:43 am

The FAA has been making a big deal out of this lately, in fact, they sent out a videotape to instructors about runway incursions (in cooperation with King Schools).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

LV

Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:11 am

Runway incursions can be a big deal.
To bring the example a little bit closer to home, I recently had a vehicle vs. deer accident. My car cost me about 24k when I bought it around thanksgiving of last year.
I was going 40-45 in a 55, accelerating from a stop light, and a deer ran out in front of me, 6300 in damage to my car. So basically that deer is costing my insurance company about 25% of what that car is worth (minus my deductible of course). Now, let's move that to this incident, even if you compare apples to apples (which is impossible to do), well, you can imagine what 25% of a 777 costs. And if the accident had happened, I imagine it would have done more than 25% damage.

PW100

Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:19 am

LV
To add to that, human cost is going to dwarf material cost...

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos