OPNLguy
Topic Author

Bill Harms' List Lives On..

Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:33 pm

In case you thought Bill's 11/12/2002 update was the last one, you'll be pleased to know he's going to do one more in December. He's doing so to aid in the transition.

What transition?

Bill's list is being taken over by Chris Kilroy, and can now be found at: http://www.jetphotos.net/census/

The data is now searchable, and can also now be manipulated in new ways. After Bill's last update, the Harms site will at some point go away, and Chris' site will be the only place for the data.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

lindy field

RE: Bill Harms' List Lives On..

Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:41 pm

I'm glad that Harms' list will live on, but too bad it's not going to live on at this site. It will definitely give the jetphotos site a little more respectability.

gmonney

Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:48 pm

I agree with you Lindy Feild, i wish the site would stay the same, but its good to see it is going to be running.

Hey, if you need any help, the GTAE will be glad to assist anyone with CYYZ (Toronto, Canada) Info http://www.torontoaviation.com

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

hkgspotter1

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:11 pm

Thats very good news.

serge

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:15 pm

Awesome news, especially for jp.net! Tested it out and it even includes a photo of the plane when you search for a specific reg  Big thumbs up.

...Serge

CX Flyboy

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:23 pm

Excellent!! Glad to see the most comprehensive and best place to search for info about a plane is alive and well.....now I can look forward to finding where in the world Pacific Airlines MD80 S7-ASK came from!!

BlatantEcho

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:11 pm

that is killer

great news for us reg heads

George
They're not handing trophies out today

gerardo

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:21 pm

YUP! That's indeed very good news. Where else can I get the exact aircraft info for my next uploads...

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

Bruce

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:57 pm

Excellent. i posted on the yahoogroup that Bill subscribes to, basically saying thank you to him for his hard work. His list provided a great service to us.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

apuneger

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:12 pm

Excellent news!

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

FlagshipAZ

Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:52 am

Excellent news indeed! I certainly hope Bill's family is very understanding to let him do one more update to close out 2002. And I want to wish Chris Kilroy all the best in taking over Bill's lists. He'll have some big shoes to fill. Best regards to Bill & Chris.  Wink/being sarcastic
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

eg777er

Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:15 am

What would be really cool is if Johan and this guy do some sort of joint venture whereby when you search the Airliners.net photo db, it comes up with this information.

For example, searching on A4O-KA on this site delivers a host of photos.....but on the site with the valuable information there are no photos. They should be linked!!

serge

Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:36 am

Eg777er: Yeah, I tried only one reg myself (N922UA) and it did come up with a photo  Smile, but I'm sure many aircraft photos for the regs are missing. Jp.net is growing everyday and will only continue to grow so hopefully its not a problem soon.

I don't think the joint venture idea would work because... well.... just search for "competition" in the site related forum and you'll see.  Innocent

regards,
Serge

Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:52 am

I'm glad the list is not dead because from time to time, I will use it. This is a great new feature. Healthy competition promotes new and better ideas in my honest opinion.

AF002

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:09 am

By the way, http://ac.1e.ca/ is still up and alive, I just need to grab the latest update from Bill. And there's a link to airliners.net pictures  Smile I don't understand why Chris felt the need to copy a.net that bad.. Why not trying to create something new? Innovate, not duplicate..

UPS Pilot

AF002?

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:29 am

Chris Kilroy has had a very successful site at http://www.airdisaster.com
He and his site have been mentioned in the National Media such as CNN and "The Howard Stern Show" . He has created something new, "innovated" and hasn't "duplicated".

Bill Harms has contributed to aviation greatly and will be missed!!! I feel Chris Kilroy has the talent and drive to continue where Bill Harms left off. Please don't bash his efforts  Smile

aviasian

Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:19 am

Whatever URL the Bill Harm's List resides in, many of us will continue to visit it for valuable reference and resource.

I am sure I speak for many when I say that we are very grateful for the time, effort and money that Bill has put into providing all of us with up-to-date reference material . . . many of us have also neglected to say "thank you" as often as we would like whenever we use the site. So here's a big and sincere Thank-you Bill!

And to Chris, thank you also for keeping on with the hard work that Bill has started . . . I am sure many of us will contribute to the site, if we know how and what you need.

KC Sim
Bangkok

AF002

Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:44 am

UPS Pilot,
I agree that both Bill and Chris have merits for putting a lot of work into their sites. What bothers me though on jetphotos.net frontpage:
"Unlike other large online photo databases, we have not set standards which cannot be met by anyone other than the professional photographer".
Which is an obvious cheap shot at airliners.net, even if the point is probably right, screeners are sometimes rejecting perfectly good pics.

Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:38 pm

CX Flyboy

Actually, the most comprehensive place to find info on a plane is not that list. Try searching for info on the EMB-120, or Gulfstream IV, or Tu-154, or Yak-42, or HS Trident. You won't find it. You will however find it all on http://www.airlinerlist.com  Smile

AF002

Another cheap shot at airliners.net is that Chris seems to have stolen Johan's code and changed it enough to suit his own needs. That is apprehensible.