gigneil

Mileage Plus Miles For Upgrades On *A?

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:16 am

I think this might have been discussed previously but I searched and didn't find it...

Lets say I'm flying from DEN-BOM on Lufthansa.

If I purchase an upgradable fare, can I use my Mileage Plus (UA) miles to upgrade to the next cabin?

What about with the other *A carriers, lets say I was flying to Bali... first on UA to SFO then SQ the rest of the way...?

The reason I ask is that I'm sure I could do that with NW/KL/CO, and I want to know if I can with *A.

N

UALPHLCS

RE: Mileage Plus Miles For Upgrades On *A?

Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:30 am

Currently only LH allows you to use UA mileage to UG on there flights. You have to call UA res to set it up and its very cumbersome and confusing. (And I'm an Agent) On a better note I understand that Star is working on UG certs that will be accepted on all airlines but I haven't heard any timeframe on them.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

The777Man

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:10 pm

I heard 2004 as the timeframe for upgrade cert on all Star Alliance carriers. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

TonyBurr

Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:05 am

Glad to hear that Star is finally getting its act together with upgrades. I do not understand why it cannot happen until 2004. Although I fly Star often throughout the world, it does not often work. They do not tell you that there are instances where you cannot check in for two Star Airlines and getting boarding passes. On a recent Round the World I could not get boarding passes between LH and All Nippon; UA and AC. It was a 100% failure rate on interline connections. In spite of it it is a good alliance ( they just have some false advertising issues)

UALPHLCS

Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:20 pm

UA can not issue some boarding passes for SQ, and for some reason a few AC Jazz flights. For the most part I have checking in people on just about every Star carrier.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

afay1

Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:20 pm

I tried to upgrade last year on a code-share United/Lufthansa flight that had dual UA/LH flight numbers (FRA-BOS) and was told that one couldn't upgrade using anyone's miles because neither airline's computers could check the ticket. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, buts that's what I was told. I finally pretended that it was just a Lufthansa flight, and "magically" the upgrade became possible, but it would take at least 15 days to get the upgrade certificate. How convenient....