JetMark
Topic Author

Would There Be A Market For "green" Liveries?

Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:43 pm

To me a livery design is, next to an excellent service and punctuality, the ultimate visiting card for an airline. I'm wondering whether there is a growing market for "green" (enviromental less damaging) liveries. Modern paintshops work already with less damaging paints. But is there a change in the airline CEO's minds to choose for very simple liveries to avoid the number of paint colours and to save a severe amount of fuel in favour of the enviroment?

Regards,
JetMark

http://www.liladesign.com

steman

RE: Would There Be A Market For "green" Liveries?

Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:55 pm

Hello,
I think American Airlines is the best example of how a livery can be attractive without paint but just keeping the bare metal finishing.
Of course AA planes have a protective layer of invisible paint but still, compared to a fully painted aircraft, they save several pounds in weight.
I remember reading somewhere that AA saved some million dollars each year in fuel thanks to reduction in weights of its (at the time) 600 strong fleet compared to an equal fleet of painted aircraft.

Bare metal finishing could become what white is now in airline liveries, that's to say the base on which each airline develops its own colors (AF, AZ, BA, LH, SR, DL, QF, AC, etc.......).

Ciao

Stefano

BadischerGreif

RE: Would There Be A Market For "green" Liveries?

Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:17 am

I think it´s more a thing of the paint itself than of the amount of paint or number of colours used. So I´d say a colourful livery is not that much "greener" than a polished or plain one.

Prost!