Olympic A-340
Topic Author

VFR Flight Bag Security Concern?

Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:09 am

Hello All,
I am going to be going to BOS for the Christmas holidays, and I want to take all my flying things with me so I can study for checkride which will be coming up in February. Even though my VFR charts, flying books, etc. have no bearing on airline flying, should I expect to be stopped by security?

Thanx in advance,
Olympic A-340

RE: VFR Flight Bag Security Concern?

Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:16 am

I took my flight bag on a trip from ORD to STL on United a few years back. I know it was before 9/11, but no one questioned me or anything out of the ordinary.

sushka

Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:43 am

I took my pilot bag along one time on a flight to Atlanta to study. Everything was fine.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

jhooper

Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:11 am

Along as it's publicly available information (i.e. NOAA charts, textbooks) and not security-sensitive material (i.e. proprietary airline training materials if you're not an airline pilot), there should be no problem whatsoever. I mean, it's still legal to train for a pilot's license, isn't it?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

hmmmm...

Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:03 am

Everyone is stopped by security. Your concern is that this type of thing might make you a subject for extra attention. To be honest, if you were arabic-looking, that might be a red flag to them. But nothing will come of it, of course. You're not a terrorist. You'll still make your flight. (In some more draconian countries, you might have some explaining to do.)
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

USAFHummer

Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:05 pm

There should be no problems Olympic...Ive taken my flight stuff on airliners a few times since 9/11 and never had any problem...I'd be hesitant to take it out on a plane though, might make other pax nervous and cause a ruckus...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:30 pm

Dear Olympic -
Be reminded that the 9/11 terrorists were once trained as pilots...
To be certain of no problems, check-in the bags containing your equipment.
There is 99% chances no questions will be asked...
But nowadays - security is... security and they might ask you a few questions.
Have a good flight...
(s) Skipper

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:30 pm

I take at least a few of my flight books with me on every flight i go on, and my GPS- never have given me any trouble. My airport ID badge helps things got a bit smoother at security too.  Smile A student pilot with a VFR flight kit won't scare anyone.
Chicks dig winglets.

Olympic A-340
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:14 am

Thanx guys...I will just carry them on the plane (I mean I am a 16 yr old traveling with my mum) I doubt I look that suspicious  Big grin.