airplanetire

Category 1 Versus Category 2 Airports.

Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:04 am

What is the difference in a Category 1 and a Category 2 airport? I was looking at this thread where there was some talking about how EZE is now a category 2: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/973589/
What other categories are there? What restrictions does category 2 impose? It seems that it doesn't allow addition of services to the US, but anything else?

flyf15

RE: Category 1 Versus Category 2 Airports.

Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:07 am

What is discussed in that thread is a category imposed on an airline, not an airport. In reference to airports, the "Category" would most likely be in reference to the types of ILS approaches available at that airport, being I through IIIc.

airplanetire

Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:24 am

Oops. I misunderstood that. Sorry and thanks for clearing that up.

ArgInMIA

Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:37 pm

I must say that actually the Category was impossed to the whole country not only one airport or airline..
Alto.. Mucho mas alto.. hasta la cumbre

backfire

Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:18 pm

You're confusing two different things here:

FAA International Aviation Safety Assessment scheme (IASA)

IASA is the FAA's international monitoring programme which it uses to measure whether any particular country complies with ICAO standards.

If a country complies with ICAO, it is classified Category 1. If not, it's Category 2.

Countries classified as Category 2 are restricted in their operations to the USA. For example, airlines in Category 2 countries cannot expand US services with their own aircraft -- they must wet-lease them from other operators (from Category 1 countries).

Instrument Landing System (ILS) categories

This is completely unrelated to the IASA scheme. An ILS allows aircraft to land in low-visibility conditions. The higher the category of ILS, the more accurate the guidance, and the closer the aircraft can be to touchdown before a go/no-go decision has to be made by the crew regarding the landing. In other words, the worse the visibility, the higher the category of ILS needed to make a safe approach.

Your basic ILS is Category I. For the worst weather, you're looking at needing Category III and above (IIIa, IIIb and so on). These high-category ILSs allow zero-visibility landings and are essential for airports such as London Heathrow where the hub is too busy to allow British weather to mess things up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos