aa737

Dallas Love Field

Thu Nov 04, 1999 6:20 am

I read on the news service induvidual.com that flights from Love field can only go to other texan cities or the adjacent states. That made we wonder because isn't southwest based there and don't they fly to a bunch of places around the country from their base? Can any one clarify this for me? Thanks.

OPNLguy

RE: Dallas Love Field

Thu Nov 04, 1999 6:34 am

You might want to go to SWA's site (www.southwest.com) and read up on the limitations there.

Basically, any airline operating out of DAL can only offer service to points in TX, NM, OK, AR, and LA, That was the original Wright Amendment passed by Congress back in 1979. A couple of years ago, Congress passed the Shelby Amendment to it, which added points in KS, AL, and MS as destinations. Aircraft with less than 56 seats are exempt from the limitations, hence Legend's proposed 2/14/00 startup with DC-9s stripped down to 56 seats, and Ozark's planned service to Columbia Mo with 37-seat DO-328 jets. Oh yeah, there's a big legal fight ongoing between the cities of Sallas and Fort Worth, and a cast of others. Stay tuned...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AirT85

Thu Nov 04, 1999 8:54 am

Hi all...well, the limitationms on service were put there when SouthWest refused to move over to the newly completed Dallas/Ft Worth INternational airport. When the airport was constructed, all certified airlines supposedly agreed to move to DFW...Well back in those days SWA wasnt a certified carrier, it flew only inter-Texas flights and didnt need a certificate. So the CAB and Congress decided to let SWA stay with limitations imposed on them. Well thats it in a nutshell...Hope it helps. if theres anything wrong with my explanation, just correct it!
-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

jr

Thu Nov 04, 1999 10:50 am

I think the Wright ammendment needs to be wiped out! I can see why it was initiated in 79 when DFW actually needed some protection from DAL to ensure its success, but it doesn't any more. It will definitely be in the interest of the flying public to see this rule cleared - bring on the SW effect on flights from DFW to the west coast! Besides AA needs some 'real' competition at DFW. (It will be kinda cool if SW could give AA a run for its money without even flying into DFW ...   )
I've flown on 9V-SPK.