airfrancejfk

New Air Afrique Service To New York In January?

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:46 pm

Ok this one has been circulating for a while now, however it seems that lots of folks at work are telling me that a new Air Afrique, completely rebranded will be coming to New York next month. Now this is strange especially since I haven't heard a thing about it on any of the websites, however it seems that this new company has already signed catering and security contracts which makes me wonder.

chepos

RE: New Air Afrique Service To New York In January?

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:02 am

You mentioned Africa so I was reminded me of something.
Did Afrinat International (The new Gambian Airlines operating flights between West Africa and New York) take off? They first scheduled their first flight between Banjul and New York for Sept 30 but they supposedly pushed back their maiden flight to the end of Nov.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

mikephotos

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:18 am

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe they (Afrinat) did start service using lease EAL 747's but that quickly ended. Not sure how many flights actually took place.

Michael

AA767400

Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:14 am

When Air Afrique was flying, what route did they operate?
It was JFK-Ivory coast, but stopping where?
Since I know those A300's could not make too far.
"The low fares airline."

Thomas_Jaeger

Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:10 am

As far as I know they stopped in Dakar.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

airfrancejfk

Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:56 am

As far as I know, Afrinat started service already, can't say I've ever seen one of their planes, since their flights are schduled in the wee hours of the morning. In addition, Afrinat is at Terminal 4, the new airline that I'm talking about is at Terminal 1, where Air France is, and where the old Air Afrique used to be. Its funny, the rumours of Air Afrique's return have been going on since they stopped flying here about a year ago, so this could just be another one.

The old Air Afrique used to fly New York-Dakar-Abidjan about three times a week. Once a week, they would also make an additional stop in Bamako and Banjul (although this was very short lived). Given the restrictions of the A300, RK also made a refuelling stop in Sal, Cape Verde.