737 Elevator Problems!

Thu Nov 04, 1999 7:55 pm

Firstly, did they come to conclusions about the SilkAir flight (737-300) that crashed in Indonesia 2 years ago?
Did they established why it crashed?

Secondly, I recall people mentioning the production line that this plane belonged to, Boeing forogt a line of wivets in the rear elevator, thus causing a potential hazard during flight, can someone please elaborate on this, confirming that it was true, and tell me if this problem was rectified in all the concerned aircrafts.

PerthWA

OPNLguy

RE: 737 Elevator Problems!

Fri Nov 05, 1999 5:38 am

The leading theory reported is pilot-sucide, as the Captain supposedly had some financial problems. You might check www.aviation-safety.net for particulars.

As far as the missing rivets are/were concerned, the concensus was that there were a consequence of SilkAir's accident sequence, and not the precipitator of it. True, Boeing did inspect all aircraft, and did find a couple of other missing rivets here and there, but it wasn't anything major from what I recall.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.