jfidler

How Can I Transport Aerosol Cans On-board?

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:04 am

I am flying a long-haul (across the pond) and intra-Europe flight in 1 week. I need to take with me an aerosol can (it's a medication). I don't need immediate access to it. Is it ok to put it in checked luggage, or will there be a pressure problem?

Justin

L-188

RE: How Can I Transport Aerosol Cans On-board?

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:10 am

It shouldn't be a problem...

It should be considered the same as hairspray or aerosol deoderant.

both where allowed.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jfidler

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:17 am

But will it blow up if I put it in my checked luggage in the cargo hold?

Justin

clewatcher

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:28 am

My mom was concerned about taking a couple cans of propane for camping, she got them on the plane in the cargo, no problems, aerosol cans shouldnt be a problem .
-Raymond

Greg

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:45 am

If they don't ask...don't tell.
I take deodorant, hairspray, ect with me all the time...never had a problem.

Propane? Are you crazy?!?!?!?!?

aa777flyer

Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:54 am

Small amounts of personal items such as hair spray, deodorant etc are ok. Might be a good idea if you bring your certification for medical need along just incase any questions arise......

CLEWATCHER!!!!!

PROPANE???????? Is your mother NUTS????????? That is just not allowed!!!!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

AS_GSC

Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:14 am

There are very strict dangerous goods regulations enforced by the FAA (if you are leaving the US) indicating what can't be transported in the cabin and the baggage hold. Your airline should be well informed with the regulations as there are fines imposed against the airlines for allowing the transport of dangerous goods.

A fine could be imposed against the person traveling if they are found with the restricted articles. As a rule of thumb, check with your airline.

Cheers!
AS_GSC

broke

Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:42 am

Even though hairspray cans with an aerosol propellant are allowed on airplanes, but be careful. I know of a couple of cabin fires where the spray can was activated and it ignited. On one, the can was in a women's carry-on; she pushed the bag under the seat in front of her with her feet; that activated the can. I don't know what the ignition source was, but the torch burn through the floor panel and into the air distribution duct below and the crew got an overheat indication. Only after landing was the results of the fire found.
Flammables like propane and lighter fluid, among other things, are never allowed on an airplane. Peopel will carry the strangest things on an airplane (or at least try)

Woodreau

Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:24 am

I would check with the airline... but within the United States it (your medicine) appears to fall into one of the items which are exempt from the hazmat regs... you should be able to transport your aerosol medicine without any problems as long as you're not bringing lots of it... (see below), you might have problems outside the US... also for customs purposes bring a copy of the prescription so that the customs/agriculture inspectors don't hassle you:

175.10 Exceptions
(4) The following hazardous materials when carried by a passenger or crewmember for personal use in conformance with the following conditions:
(i) non-radioactive medicinal and toilet articles (including aerosols) may be carried in checked or carry-on baggage;
(ii) one self-defense spray (see 171.8 of this subchapter), not exceeding 118ml (4 fluid ounces) by volume, that incorporates a positive means to prevent accidental discharge may be carried in checked baggage only;
(iii) other aerosols in Division 2.2 with no subsidiary risk may be carried in checked baggage only; and
(iv) the aggregate quantity of hazardous materials carried by the person may not exceed 2 kg (70 ounces) by mass or 2 liters (68 fluid ounce) by volume and the capacity of each container may not exceed 0.5kg (18 ounces by mass) or 470ml (18 fluid ounces) by volume.

As for propane (hazard class 2.1 item), it's forbidden aboard any aircraft carrying passengers, although there is an exception.

Cheers
Woodreau / KMVL
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

elwood64151

Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:50 am

Clewatcher:

I reiterate: Is your mother NUTS!!!!!??

Small amounts of personal use products are allowed by FAA regulations. We were told in our training at Vanguard and AirTran that up to 16 fl ounces were permitted for personal use products. Lighter fluid and the like are not permitted EVER on an airplane.

As stated before, check with the airline, because they may have their own more stringent requirements, which you must follow to fly on them.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos