Asiana Cuts Frequencies; Fears On UA Bankrupt

Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:46 am

Asiana Airlines is announcing some frequencies and routing cutting.

This is a response on it's Star Alliance partner, UNITED, might go bankrupt on Sunday.

Effective December 13, Asiana's flight to Manila will be reduced from 14x weekly to 10x. Busan-Guam will be dropped.

Domestically, it has dropped Gimpo-Yangyang, and plans to reduce frequencies between Gimpo and Mokpo.

"There is a possibility of our image suffering a downfall with the imminent bankruptcy of United Airlines, one of our major Star Alliance partners. But the effect will be limited because we are an associate member of the club," an Asiana official said, asking to remain anonymous.

AsianaAirlines

RE: Asiana Cuts Frequencies; Fears On UA Bankrupt

Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:21 pm

"There is a possibility of our image suffering a downfall with the imminent bankruptcy of United Airlines". What is that suppose to mean?

AA737-823

AsianaAirlines

Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:25 am

I think it means, "If Untied goes bust, Star will lose integrity, and we will all suffer from their poor management."

R

azjubilee

Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:52 am

Sounds like Asiana is a bit on the arrogant side to me. Did they claim this when Ansett went buh bye? Or with NZ's woes? I seriously doubt people will balk from flying Asiana, just because UA could file for Ch11 - which is reorganization bankruptcy... not going bust. Sounds like the people running the show at Asiana don't have their facts straight... they should be more worried about their image due to misinformed executives than a loose alliance partner and their business situation.

AZJ

Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:23 am

Sounds like Asiana is a bit on the arrogant side to me. Did they claim this when Ansett went buh bye? Or with NZ's woes?

Asiana's main market is North America and Asia. No big affect on OZ with the recent NZ woes.

Regarding to Ansett drama, that was last year, the year Asiana didn't even think about joining Star Alliance.

azjubilee

Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:49 am

Points taken... but I still think that they're arrogant for feeling this way. Perhaps they need to conduct business differently and not rely on 1 airline as a source for all their traffic from the USA. This industry is fluid... they shuld know that.

AZJ

ryu2

Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:03 am

Are OZ even a member of STAR yet? Can you get UA miles on them? If so, I would like to fly them the next time I go back to Asia for holiday.

SAS_A330-300

Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:47 pm

No, OZ will be a Star member on January 1st 2003. Together with LOT.  Smile
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

Ryanair!!!

Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:09 pm

I don't see what has UA's Chp 11 issues got to do with Asiana?? Lets just hope that this was just some statement constructed by some silly a.netter and not an official release by the airline.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

azjubilee

Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:50 am

Based on previous posts by the thread starter.... Ryanair, we might actually agree on something. But then again, Thai seems to be freaking out about the Ch 11 issue, so maybe Asiana's woes are indeed true. It just amazes me how reliant these airlines were on one carrier, and the ignorance in their comments regarding the reorganization bankruptsy UAL is now in.

AZJ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos