AA7771stClass
Topic Author

British Asia Airways/Air France Asie

Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:53 am

Can anyone tell me what the rules were around these 2 carriers creation...something about TPE and mainland China right?

OzarkD9S

RE: British Asia Airways/Air France Asie

Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:57 am

Right. Japan Asia also serves the same purpose, allowing the companies to serve Taiwan without ruffling the feathers of the government in Beijing. Don't ask me why there isn't a Northwest Asia or United Asia airlines.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

boeingnut

Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:02 am

You hit the nail on the head. But I dont think that they have any a/c painted up in those liveries anymore (even though it was just a title change on the a/c. not a truly different livery).

There was also a Swissair Asia (with a character on the tail instead of the swiss cross)

Ther was never a United Asia or Northwest Asia because the US government would stand behind them if China denied rights to them.
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

AA7771stClass
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:02 am

So they do still exist today then...I thought Beijing had calmed down and it was allowed to be regular ol' BA and AF??

AA7771stClass
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:04 am

Haha, same time posting. Thanks Boeingnut and OzarkD9S.

Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:40 am

These 2, along with KLM Asia, Swissair Asia, Lufthansa/Condor was setup due to political problems.

In order to fly to Taiwan, these carriers have to establish a new "company/franchise" and no flags painted on the plane.

Currently, China is still trying to intervene some air service agreement for Taiwan, but this is rare.

Except KLM Asia, all European carriers' "Asia" franchise has been dropped due to poor revenue.

JAA's case is different, right now it has been designated as an airline that specializing Taiwan route. So JAA's new livery will include Japanese flag, which they weren't allowed to do so in the early days.

NW serves Taiwan back in 1947, and UA bought Pan Am's flight to Taiwan in 1985, so there were not much political issues involved.