flyboy36y

Aer Lingus Service

Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:17 pm

I am due to fly 4 segments on Aer Lingus (EI) next month. They are LHR-DUB (A321), DUB-BRU (737), BRU-DUB (737), and DUB-LHR (A320).

I am already not-impressed. They don't offer pre-assigned seating and seemed to not understand why I would expect there to be? Well, maybe because where I am from almost EVRY flight has it? They list all flights as BREAKFAST or LUNCH flights, but based on my reaserch, I have been told that while this USED to mean a hot meal, they recently replced that with a hot snack, and then again replaced it with a choice of cofee, beer, tea, or water, and pack of crackers. Thy don't even offer Juice or soda on these flights I've been told. On American Eagle (not even a mainline flight) one will have a FULL choice of bevreges and a snack. Also, they sent their ticket to me in a paer envelope, normal mail. This caused the tickets to be soaked through because it was raining. I needed replacments.

In addition to these problems, AER LIGUS is the only airline in One World that does not get AA Credit for "L" class. I've also been told EI is not good on legroom.

So... tell me what you think. Will I enjoy my flights?

ContinentalEWR

RE: Aer Lingus Service

Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:34 pm

Aer Lingus does not operate the A320. Only the A321. I'm pretty sure about that. I have flown them from LHR to DUB and back and from EWR to DUB and back, on the A330 (EWR-DUB-EWR) and 737-400 (LHR-DUB-LHR) and was not overly impressed. All of the flights were delayed. The crew did their job but were not really friendly or customer-sensitive. The food was skimpy and the entertainment on the transatlantic flights was pitiful. The ground staff at all the airports were borderline rude.

Not the best airline. Not the worst.

ContinentalEWR

teahan

Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:44 pm

Aer Lingus service has really been going downhill these days. No more hot meals in Business (!) Class on European routes, replaced by some snack boxes. No free food/drink at all in Economy on Ireland-UK provincial (all except LHR) flights. The same was going was going to be introduced on European routes but has now been deferred/cancelled.

The ground staff goes from excellent (rarely) to appalling and as you said, they are extremely stingy on FFP points/miles (don’t even get me started on their own programme, TAB).

Aer Lingus legroom is about the European average, no better and no worse.

I have three return Aer Lingus flights booked, two DUB-GVAs and one SNN-LHR but to tell you the truth, I am not at particularly looking forward to them.

Oh but they are about to make a profit (following almost going bankrupt just 12 months ago) so they must be doing something right?

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

teahan

Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:49 pm

ContinentalEWR,

Aer Lingus actually does have A320s, 4 of them IIRC. They also have 6 A321s and 4 A319s on order but no one is really sure when/if those will be delivered.

As for entertainment, one A330 actually does have PTVs (A330-200 / EI-DAA). The rest of the fleet was suppose to retroffited but that again got the chop in the cost saving measures.

Jeremiah

Craigy

Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:54 pm

Just for the record, Aer Lingus do operate A320s, they have 10 of them.
I am surprised to hear that their service is so bad. They must have to really cut corners to compete with the low cost carriers in Europe.
Regards,
Craig.

teahan

Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:01 pm

Craigy,

They actually only have 4 A320s. But if you add the 6 A321s, that totals 10 A32Series aircraft.

Jeremiah

kaitak

Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:55 pm

I've always found them quite friendly, but I haven't flown them since they went down the low cost route. They have had to change; it's adjustment to a new reality. While it would be nice to go back to the old days, I'd much prefer an airline which was expanding rapidly and had low fares, as EI now does.

They are, moreover, a very safe airline.

flyboy36y

Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:59 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Eggenschwiler
View Large View Medium

Photo © Manuel Marin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Snoep
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daenen Jos

All four in the fleet.

flyboy36y

Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:06 pm

no more info?

Sabena 690

Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:17 pm

They even ask a booking fee of 2£ from now on  Insane

And they charge you for drinks (except water or coffee) on UK-Ireland flights.

Really dissapointing...

flyboy36y

Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:44 pm

Wow, It sounds as the ONLY reason that thay are ANY better than Ryanair is that they fly to main airports istead of secondary ones.

ammunition

Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:52 pm

They always did look like a low cost airline, i guess now thay are trully acting like one!
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos