B747-437B
Topic Author

Article : Causes & Solutions For UAL's Chapter 11

Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:25 pm

And so the inevitable has happened. United Airlines has filed Chapter 11. The company that a scant three years ago was hailed as arguably the most successful, largest and most profitable airline in history is now incapable of scrounging together enough loose change to make a routine debt payment.

Don't kid yourself with euphemisms like "spring cleaning", "fresh start" and other cuddly terms that serve no purpose other than to deny the obvious. Make no mistake folks. The company is BANKRUPT. Insolvent. Delinquent. That is what you call folks who can't meet their obligations.

There has been much finger pointing as to who is to blame for this fiasco. AFA blames IAM who blames ALPA who blames the ATSB who blames management who blames Osama Bin Laden. Personally, I think that although Osama was the catalyst that accelerated this freefall into the stygian depths of airline purgatory, UAL was committed to the slippery downward slope well in advance of 11 September 2001. UAL's true day of reckoning was 26 August 2000; the day that James Goodwin and Rick Dubinsky shook hands across a table in Elk Grove.....

Full article here.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

RE: Article : Causes & Solutions For UAL's Chapter 11

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:08 pm

I think a 30% to 40% cut in labor cost will fix the whole damn thing. They really can't afford to unravel anything else - or else they're gonna fuck the company and start the slipper slope of changing United's business.

See my thread: Can Cutting Labor Costs Just Save United?

We;ve got a pretty good discussion in there.

TNNH

na

RE: Article : Causes & Solutions For UAL's Cha

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:38 pm

A 30-40% paycut will mean the UA 747-captain is still a highpaid man, but the average F/A can´t exist that way.