AApilot2b
Topic Author

ANZ's "Lord Of The Rings" Scheme

Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:51 pm

I noticed Airliners.net has posted a photo of ANZ's "Lord of the Rings 747. In case you haven't viewed it yet, here it is.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © UAFlyer

Does anyone know what the connection is between this airline and placing a movie paint scheme on one of its aircraft? Also, does anyone have a better picture? This is a nice 747-400 shot, but it really doesn't display the "Lord of the Rings" scheme to well. You can hardly see it (the wing is in the way).

airways

RE: ANZ's "Lord Of The Rings" Scheme

Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:58 pm

I'm sure that we will see more pictures of this aircraft soon! For the meantime, have a look to this page: http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/BU0212/S00113.htm

The movies "Lord of the Rings" were filmed at New Zealand, that's the connection between the movie and the airline.

Michael
http://airways.ch

A340-Fan

Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:59 pm

I think NZ painted it because the film was made in New Zealand.

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:07 pm

Thanks. I figured it mst have been something like that. Makes me want to go visit New Zealand.  Wink/being sarcastic

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:11 pm

I have to add, the website you offered up is great! Very informative on the topic! Thanks again.

BR715-A1-30

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:04 am

I think NZ painted it because the film was made in New Zealand.

Ya think???  Big grin

Sorry, I'm just in a sarcastic mood right now.

Puhdiddle

rey777

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:56 am

It's a very good idea to promote tourism in NZ by using the fact that the "Lord of the Rings" was made in this beautiful country.

Spot this !

Rey777

a380jet

Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:12 am

I Live in Edmonton and for the last weeks ive been seeing their lord of the rings promo commerical. I just hope one day that i can visit one of the 2 best things. New Zealand and Air New Zealand

Ezra

Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:05 am

The director, Peter Jackson, is a NZ native.

AJ

Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:44 am

DeltaMD11

Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:56 am

The scheme looks great. Very creative, and supportive. Kudos to ANZ.

Bryan
Chat Operator Delta767
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

QANTASforever

Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:13 pm

Yeah great sticker but am I the only one here who thinks that New Zealand (the country) is taking these movies a little too far?

Anyone been in the New Zealand High Commission in London and Canberra lately? The amount of LOTR merchanise is enough to make you think you are in middle earth. I doubt any country has ever had such an orgasm over a couple of movies before. Those Kiwis must have very little in their everyday lives to get excited about.

Regards,

QANTASforever
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

RayChuang

Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:00 pm

QANTASforever,

I do remind you that something like US$300,000,000 has been spent on producing these three movies, and what's particularly impressive is the fact very little of the production--including the amazing special effects--were done outside of New Zealand!  Wow! I don't blame the New Zealand tourism bureau and Air New Zealand for promoting the movies like mad, given that it's given the country a lot of much-needed positive publicity and even a boost in tourism!  Smile

NZ767

Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:19 pm

LMFAO@QANTASforvever....... Only an Aussie would say something like that!!
And don't bite my head off. You asked for that!! Big grin

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:17 pm

Do I sence a little jealousy here?  Smile

duff

Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:25 pm

I'm surprised Oz hasn't claimed the Lord of the Rings as their own. Maybe they should. A decal like ANZ's might actually improve QF's paint scheme.

VirginFlyer

Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:39 pm

Duff - that reminds me of a letter to the editor in the NZ Herald last year. I can't recall exactly what the issue was at the time, however I believe the wording of the letter was something to the effect of "Actually, Australians will be pleased to know that not all of Lord of The Rings was shot in New Zealand. The wastelands of Mordor were filmed accross the ditch!"

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

QANTASforever

Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:06 pm

Oh boy oh boy, really kiwis, I love you to bits but one has to laugh.
(Knew my comment would cause a stir)

Australia has developed such productions as:

*Moulin Rouge
*Star Wars Episodes II and III
*The Matrix
*The Matrix Reloaded
*The Matrix Revolutions
* Babe I and II (  Big grin I know but at least the first scored some oscars)
*Mission Impossible II
To name but a few.

And does our government get on the merchanise bandwagon?....no
Do our major airlines paint posters of the films on their ac?........no
Do we change the names of our cities for a movie?..................no

The Lord of the Rings films are great but New Zealand, be cool about this. I'm having visions of the entire population of New Zealand having a simultaneous heart attack at the prospect of you beating us at cricket. Do I see the NZ flag adorned with pictures of your favourite cricket players? Perhaps replacing 'God Defend New Zealand' with 'The pitch of Whykickamoocow".

:D Kiwi Bashing lives!!!!! lol

QANTASforever

VirginFlyer

Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:07 pm

QFforever, lets not start a pissing contest here, I think we are all older than that.

A few factual points that should be made.

- NZ is a smaller country than Australia, so of course it is going to be more parochial

- I have read a fair bit in the papers here about the positive effect of the Matrix movies, among others, for Sydney, and at least some of it was from the government. They seemed quite enthusiastic about the possibilities for future productions and, yes, merchandising.

- The correct spelling is Waikikamukau  Big grin

Let's keep this civil aviation board civil, and take any Kiwi (or Aussie for that matter!) Bashing somewhere else (might I suggest the Kindergarten playground, where it belongs)...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

jsmith

Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:31 am

"Do our major airlines paint posters of the films on their ac?........no"

No that's right, they paint repetitive indigeneous designs on their ac and 'pretend' that they represent Australia.

Norbert

Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:32 am

I'm sorry but that ac livery looks horrible. It's pathetic. Now before you jump on me I just want to add a few words.
I think that this makes the plane look cheap, or like a city bus, tacky. This has nothing to do with New Zealanders.
Since I'm from L.A. I see this sort of marketing all the time. Ever single city bus has some sort of commercial painted/pasted on it.
I really hate it when companies try to shove their product down your throat.
I was actually interested in seeing this movie, but after all the ads/commercials that I see plastered everywhere, I'm already sick of it.
What I'm trying to say is this: I really hope that these beautiful airplanes don't turn into marketing billboards for every blockbuster movie that comes out.

-Peace-

Admiral Ackbar

Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:55 am

Star Wars Episodes II and III

I wouldn't be too proud of those ones, what dogs. I'll take acting for 2$ Alec  Big grin

boeing767-300

Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:00 pm

QANTASforever

Anyone been in the New Zealand High Commission in London and Canberra lately? The amount of LOTR merchanise is enough to make you think you are in middle earth. I doubt any country has ever had such an orgasm over a couple of movies before. Those Kiwis must have very little in their everyday lives to get excited about.

Regards,

QANTASforever

Just the sort of Crap you would expect from some Australians.

But "QANTASforever" we are good sports and if a six is required of the last ball and you get it...GOOD LUCK TO YOU, in Australia they roll the ball along the ground. Do I need to say anymore!!!!!

Note I said "SOME" Australians.....

boeing767-300

Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:12 pm

Qantas Forever....
The Lord of the Rings films are great but New Zealand, be cool about this. I'm having visions of the entire population of New Zealand having a simultaneous heart attack at the prospect of you beating us at cricket. Do I see the NZ flag adorned with pictures of your favourite cricket players? Perhaps replacing 'God Defend New Zealand' with 'The pitch of Whykickamoocow".

Please engage brain before opening mouth... The facts in regard to cricket. Australia are a great team BUT do you remember the Tri series last year... Yeah thats right Australia South Africa and New Zealand. Australia failed to make the finals (finished 3rd). Only the Austalians were clever enough to design a bonus points system that eliminated them from their OWN FINALS

Boeing767-300

ZK-NBT

Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:17 pm

Girls and Boys are NZ not aloud to promote tourism? Not every yank knows where NZ is! Must be part of Australia!  Big grin Really this is just another way to promote NZ as a tourist destination which is what NZ is!

B-HXB

Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:15 pm

What interests me is that Air NZ tends to go for decals rather than full all-out special liveries, like CX's Asia World City/SOHK2000, or QF's Dreaming series.

Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:35 pm

Jsmith says:

"""No that's right, they paint repetitive indigeneous designs on their ac and 'pretend' that they represent Australia."""

Who QF? Yeah of course QF do. And they are great!

But the other major airline? DJ? (Virgin Blue) What special colours do they have, besides and ex AN 733 with a white tail?

No, they are too cheap and nasty to bother with something like that, they'll stick with their vulgar, cheap and nasty looking phone number imprint on their planes.

Ugh! That's not a livery, it's a very cheap advertisement. Funny enough I couldn't even remember what the damn number is anyway so it hasn't worked for them. (And I am a spotter...)

mb

*Poco Brand Beverage*

Mutilate a mime

voodoo

Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:39 pm

re QFforever:
*Moulin Rouge
*Star Wars Episodes II and III
*The Matrix
*The Matrix Reloaded
*The Matrix Revolutions
* Babe I and II ( I know but at least the first scored some oscars)
*Mission Impossible II
---

With the possible exception of the last one, none of these films
subjects explicitly showed Australia as a place to visit that is different from any other place. They were shot there because of tax breaks, cheaper labour, or Cruise-Kidman investing in a studio there, etc.
I would think Air France would have more entitlement to Moulin Rouge promotion! And Tunisair for Star Wars.
The Lord of the Rings uses NZ scenery as a `spectacular' which is accessable to tourists.
So its no wonder Ozzies didn't use `their' films for tourism while NZers are using TLOTR.

Thats my `disinterested party' opinions.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:02 pm

Voodoo,

With all due respect Australia does not have to rely on movies to advertise itself. We do a huge tourist trade already and as I pointed out earlier, my comments were directed not simply on showcasing the locations but just being cool about big movies being shot in NZ and not making out like it is the best thing since sliced bread.

QANTASforever

P.S: Geez you guys take things too seriously! Why don't you go and talk to Prime Minister Peter Jackson for a while, he seems to be pretty relaxed.  Big grin

jsmith

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:12 am

MX5

You need to go back a few paces and look at the origin of the thread and the comment made by QFF.

Your response is off the point, and I am not even sure what your point is. Furthermore, it is merely a cheap attempt to have a go at Virgin Blue, whom you have never travelled with, but have somehow developed an irrational dislike for.

Perhaps it is because they now operate from the former AN concourse at BNE leaving no trace of your beloved airline?

boeing767-300

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:17 am

MX5 Boy..

You can thank Virgin Blue for keeping a domestic Qantas honest.

It would be a "Sad" domestic scene (pricewise) without Virgin Blue