Questions About SFO

Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:04 am

Hello,

In January I will be moving from Amsterdam to San Francisco. So, SFO is going to be my 'home-airport'. This year, I flew almost 300,000 miles on DL, but I know that SFO has only a few DL flights per day. So probably, I will be switching to another airline and another frequent flier program.

Whitch airlines have a lot of flights out of SFO, or even better, have a hub at SFO?
Are there American carriers that have direct flights to Europe out of SFO?

Thanks for any info!
Floris

docpepz

RE: Questions About SFO

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:02 am

United has a hub at SFO doesn't it?

Sabena332

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:05 am

Yes, UA is quite big at SFO, they offer also a nonstop flight from SFO to FRA.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

fpdonald

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:15 am

Floris:

It really depends where you will be traveling to. To get an idea of airlines/destinations try this link . . . enter SFO in the Arrival Airport field.
http://www.flytecomm.com/cgi-bin/trackflight

I wouldn't necessarily give up on Delta since SLC is not far away for connections. United, as mentioned, and their relaunched Shuttle planned for next year.

Don't forget about OAK and Southwest Airlines, etc.

Finally, a very warm welcome to the US from another expatriate.

DeltaMD11

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:43 am

United Airlines has a very large hub in SFO. This is nice because it will enable you to move around the country with ease. As far as Europe is concerned, it will more than likely benefit you to fly SFO-LAX (cheap fare on UA), and from LAX get to your major international destination in Europe.

Bryan
Chat Operator Delta767
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Hole_Courtney

Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:53 am

SFO has quite a few European carriers with nonstop flights to their home countries.

Off the top of my head, I've seen British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, Virgin, Air France, and I think (don't quote me, please) but maybe Alitalia?

American also has a very large presence in SFO following their acquisition of Reno Air a few years ago. They have flights to dfw, ORD, mia (I think), all the major west coast destinations (sans Seattle and Portland, maybe.) And there are flights to New York and Boston I do believe.

Besides the largest presence of United, and a sizable presence of American, all the US majors have flights to their main hubs from SFO. But, depending on where you live in the Bay Area, SFO may not be your closest airport. SJC is a very nice facility (well, if you're on American or Southwest) with a good array of flights.

San Francisco is a great city! Hope you enjoy living there.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22