DeltaMD11
Topic Author

Aviation Literature-Reviews, Comments, Must Reads!

Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:07 am

I was just sitting here going through my personal aviation library and I feel I am lacking books (sarcastic). I'm going to be making a run to B&N and get some more. Here is a short list of some of my favorite aviation literature. If anyone has some others that they would like to mention, recommend, condemn, this is the place for it.

My Personal Favorites:
1) Skygods, The Fall of PanAm
2) Hard Landing
3) Why Airplanes Crash
4) From Worst to First
5) Cockpit Confessions of an Airline Pilot
6) The Big 6 US Airlines (nice in-depth history of AA, UA, DL, CO, NW, and US, with plenty of pictures and fleet statistics)
7) Airline: Identity, Design, Culture (Nice in-depth analyzation of how an airline operates)

Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

RE: Aviation Literature-Reviews, Comments, Must Reads!

Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:21 am

I thought you hadn't read Hard Landing so how can it be one of your favorites?  Smile

I'd add:
1.) "Howard Hughes' Airline: An Informal History of TWA" by Bob Serling
2.) "Eagle" by Bob Serling (about American Airlines)
3.) "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual"
4.) "Splash of Colors" by John Nance (about the fall of Braniff)
5.) Additionally "Fasten Your Seatbelts" by Valerie Lester is a good read
6.) "Airline Marketing and Management" by Stephen Shaw

I think that "From Worst To First" should be retitled "Why I Love Myself" by Gordon Bethune.

DeltaMD11
Topic Author

RE: Aviation Literature-Reviews, Comments, Must Reads!

Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:26 am

Jason,
If you notice back in the EA vs. CO forum, I posted that I had lent the book out, and have yet to get it back, in which I have asked for it back about 4 times, and the person cannot give me a straight answer as to why he won't give it to me. So there goes that.

On the topic of "From Worst to First", Bethune has done a lot for CO. I think it gives great insight right from the source of how a once ailing airline, has turned themselves around, and is one fo the worlds top-10 largest carriers.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy