airlineguy

Any Air Traffic Controllers On Here?

Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:49 am

Are they any Air Traffic Controllers that are members of Airliners.net?

I am looking for the advice on the best steps to become an Air Traffic Controller.

Thanks

ZID

RE: Any Air Traffic Controllers On Here?

Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:21 pm

Yes, but it has changed so very much since I was hired that I'll have to ask around.
I'm not joking! This is my job!

airlineguy

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:26 am

ZID,

I live in Indiananoplace also.

backfire

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:48 am

Try the Eurocontrol website:

http://www.eurocontrol.int

j.mo

Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:23 am

Airlineguy,
There are two ways I know of now. Military ATC experience or through this school: http://db.mctc.mnscu.edu/aviation/airTraffic/atc.htm

The FAA hires directly through this school. I did the Military route, through the Air National Guard, and start training with the FAA in February.

Jeremy

atcboy73

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:21 am

Listen up Airlineguy  Smile

Community College of Beaver County (PA) just out side of PIT is the best kept secret to getting a job as an air traffic controller.

Its how I got mine.

Why is it so great. Its a two year program with the fist year getting your private pilot . You can do this at Beaver county or you can do this at home. I chose to do it at home in Kansas City as well as getting some other courses (math and science) out of the way. Then the second year was spent at the college. The school is located in Chippewa Township (spelling?) half way between PIT and Youngstown, just east of the PA, Ohio border.

As part of the second year at college you get good radar simulation experience and you also get to work a live VFR tower. There are three flight schools at the airport so it stays pretty busy. And its a great community in that the pilots you are talking to are students of the school as well. I don't know if it is now but at the time I went there it was the only college working directly with the FAA that you could get tower time.

And for the most part it is pretty affordable. For $20,000.00 I got my year at Beaver county, including everything it takes to live except my car payment and car insurance.

Let me tell you bud, I love my job! Im in Waco now working tower and approach (and yes, even we can get busy) making $70,000 a year separating planes and guarding presidential airspace at Crawford TX.

The controllers that make up the air traffic control staff in the FAA are an awesome group of people to work with and its an honor to make the skies safe with them every day.

If you have any questions feel free to email me and remember---

---JUST SAY NO TO ATC PRIVATIZATION---

Take care and good luck

Ryanair!!!

Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:12 pm

I am one, here in the sunny island state of Singapore. You need to have a quick mind that makes split second decisions. Speaking well is the rule of the thumb as well because English is the only spoken language in ATC. Even flying domestically in Japan, pilots converse with ATC in English!

Formulating your thoughts and putting them into words is a challenging task under a stressful situation. Still we have to do it and you should be able to get better at it as time progresses.

Not only speaking in English is important, another challenge comes when you converse with pilots that do not speak English under normal circumstances. Even accented English sometimes throws me off guard (eg. Kiwi and Aussie accents).

There are also numerous restrictions to remember during your slot time in controlling eg. NOTAMs (there can be so many of these in a day!), weather patches to avoid, wake turbulence separation, co-ordination with other controllers. Also understanding the characteristics of the aircraft you are controlling (Fokker 50 vs a 747-400) before sequencing them into a approach funnel.... Phew! I could go on and on!

At the end of the day, when all is well, I give myself a pat on the shoulder for a job well done.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

airlineguy

Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:16 am

Well, I have been working in airline operations since 1999. Figured it might be a safe move with better job sercurity as an ATC. I went to Purdue and took a couple ATC classes.

BlueShamu330s

Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:42 am

Speaking well is the rule of the thumb as well because English is the only spoken language in ATC.

The ICAO ruling is that in fact there are four accepted languages for ATC:
English, French, Spanish and Russian.

Whether or not it's safe to have multi-lingual transmissions on the same frequency is another topic altogether.

Shamu
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

trnswrld

Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:44 am

You guys should see the tower and tracon simulators at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach FL (unbelievable). I am now going to be working on my third ATC class working in The Orlando sector sim. I am pretty knowledgable about ATC and am a pilot also. My father was an Air Traffic Controller at Chicago Center until the PATCO strike :-(

OE-LDA

Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:42 pm

In Austrian airspace you may also use German for radio communication, as far as I know on all frequencies. In practise this means that on smaller airports most people will communicate in German whereas on larger airports and on the radar/information frequencies mostly English is used. But if you call Wien tower (119.4) in German it is legal and they will also respond in German. It is always the pilot who selects the language.

But I agree with BlueShamu330s that for the sake of flight dafety at least on the major frequencies English should be used exclusively.

Regards, OE-LDA
I am totally missing basics and clueless about airline flying!

Herman

Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:19 pm

Ryanair,

Out of curiousity, do they have open-house at SATCC ?

Thanks

Smokin cool

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos