backfire

Sao Paulo...sharp Outfit

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:16 am

Just wanted to say what a great place Sao Paulo International Airport is.

Ten seconds' walk from the departure gate -- a souvenir shop where you can buy just about any kind of lethal hunting blade you care to name, from a six-inch dirk to a 12-inch wolf-skinner to a 3ft katana.

exPratt

RE: Sao Paulo...sharp Outfit

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:36 am

Backfire,

If you went to the shop with the knives, how come you didn't see all of the model airplanes on display and for sale. They are in the same shop. I must agree that it does seem kind of silly to be selling those kinds of knives at an airport.

backfire

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:46 am

Au contraire, Expratt, I did indeed see the model aircraft and the various other paraphernalia on sale there. But you expect to see model aircraft at an airport...I don't think I expected to see a psycho's toolkit.

exPratt

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:50 am

I think it is ironic that the Brazilian authorities x-ray your luggage when you arrive to make sure you are not bringing in any weapons. One only has to go up to the departure level to get some very serious weapons.

747-451

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:53 am

Almost makes as much sense as feeling comfortable about having your precious belongings in unlocked bags...

s.p.a.s.

Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:13 am

Let me clear up some points...

First, even if one guy buys a few knifes or a 3ft Katana he will never manage to board the plane with it, as he has to go through a security check before, not to mention the Federal Police agent (border police) on the passport control before the metal detector/x-ray machine.

As per being a psycho toolkit we are peaceful and I can hardly imagine a fellow countryman going into a McDonnalds and slice the manager into BigMac hamburgers or shoot 20 people to death..Ok, we have some civil war atmosphere (more in Rio than here in SAO), and lot's of criminal concerns but, this kind of social misbehaviour (psychos) are very seldom seen here, although it already happened once.

Upon arrival not all luggage is x-ray checked, and the main purpouse of the check is to see if the passengers aren't smuggling stuff into the country(weapons included). This applies specially to the locals as we have a 500 us$ duty free import limit. Most of the checks are "random", not really so..Actually..the customs folks know by sight who they must or must not stop.

And 747-451.. locked or unlocked you should never place preciou goods in bags regardless where you're flying.. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it at MIA where a bag theft mafia was very active a few years ago?

Best regards,

Renato Salzinger
SBGR/GRU
"ad astra per aspera"

747-451

Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:03 am

"And 747-451.. locked or unlocked you should never place preciou goods in bags regardless where you're flying.. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it at MIA where a bag theft mafia was very active a few years ago?"

What I mean by precious is things like underwear or other necessities needed for the trip. I wold never put a camera or medication in a bag checked...