flyboy36y

AA's Trans-Atlanic Y Service

Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 pm

How is AAs trans attlantic ECONOMY service?

I know Virgin used to give ou comfort kits with socks, eye shades, a pen, and the like (they may still).

Does AA?

What about meals and other service?

THANKS

RE: AA's Trans-Atlanic Y Service

Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:08 pm

I think there are a few trip reports on this site (and on FlyerTalk) that should answer your questions. Perhaps you might go ask on those threads.... one has been active in the last few days I believe.

As far as amenity kits, I don't think so. Meals: standard economy food. Airline meal is an airline meal when you are in coach. Looking at my notes from my last AA transatlantic leg (LHR-ORD, B777 in coach).... meal of beef noodles, salad, cake, cheese/crackers/bread. Snack basket passed around halfway through the flight with M&M's or Toblerones. Second meal about ninety minutes out of Chicago.... cheese pizza. No amenity kit. Had a PTV, didn't use it (I'm not a PTV fan).

aq737

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:34 pm

Check out my trip report in the other forum. I love AA and it is now my sole carrier for all possible routes. MRTC makes a difference. The International Flagship means have bigger portions. On a 777, ORD-LHR, i got the warm towel, then M&Ms, then the meal, then prior to arrival, a cold meal. Drinks were served in between. Very good.
Have a good flight!

Aq737

qantas744

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:47 pm

I flew AA from LHR-LAS in February and really enjoyed the service, there is a trip report in the relevant forum.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

railmatt

Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:35 pm

In the late 1980s AA gave out toothbrushes and paste in Y. Also menus were given out in Y. No longer.

I doubt any other U.S. carrier does either now.

IMHO this happens because most economy class passengers are willing to give up most any amenity to save even one dollar.

So sad. The public does it to itself.

MAC100

Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:34 am

Service and food are fine, no amenity kits, but one thing that sets it apart from any other carrier MRTC. Makes even long flights very survivable. I do not remember PTVs on 767's but I may have forgotten.
But be careful some of AA TA service through ZRH is codeshare on Swiss, better service, no amenity kits and the most uncomfortable, cramped seats in the business if you have the dubious pleasure to fly an A330. Make sure you fly on an AA plane, you'll enjoy it.

jsnww81

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:37 am

I've flown ORD-MAN four times in the past year, and MRTC really does make the flight more bearable. However, the cabin crew on AA's transatlantic crossings are the most senior - and some of the rudest and most negligent I've ever come across (by negligent I mean in terms of service, not safety.) They serve the meals as soon as possible after takeoff, then retreat to the galleys and their 'reserved seats' to chat and read magazines for the remainder of the flight.

The only amenities provided are hot towels (which are distributed immediately following takeoff, instead of before arrival, when they might actually be useful) and blankets and pillows. Headsets are free, DRINKS ARE NOT.

In all, AA gets you there with lots of legroom and almost zero service. I realize there are occasionally friendly crew, but not usually.

blink182

Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:15 am

Generally AA is good in the Trans-Atlantic Y service, however, as stated above, the crew can be a bummer most of the time, although I have had some FA's that are not the typical AA international FA(old, decrepid, boring). Instead, one had a dry sense of humor and showed it, which lightened the mood a bit. The service is great, but the small things aren't apparent. Generally, there are no hot-towels, and there no amenity kits, and this was before 9/11.
AA does well in the big things, but lacks in the small little touches.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

richcandy

Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:19 am

Hi

Its been a few year since I flew American, when I did the think that I remember was that there was a bar service more than once. Now that we have to pay I sure its not as often.

I am going to New York next year and I have a choice of who I should fly with.

AA - They have the best price, and the most room in economy and fly 777's but charge for drinks and I would have to pay to park my car at Heathrow and
we would have the 3hr drive to Heathrow. Also I have flown
them before.

AF - 777's and I have always wanted to fly them, 777's but again out of LHR.
The London City flight goes to Orly and I don't really want to have
to get a bus to CDG.

or

KL - We could fly from London City just 20 min by taxi from my house,
would like to fly them, but no seat back TV's .

There are others, but I have flown LH,VS,BA,AC so someone new would be good, Anyone with any advise please let me know.

Rich

aq737

Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:30 am

Definently take AA. The best of all worlds.
Have a good flight.

Aq737

richcandy

Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:37 am

Aq737

I know that you are right!