mirage

Strange warning

Sun Dec 20, 1998 7:17 am

Today 19/12 I went to plane spotting at FAO airport. I was listening the approach to rwy 28 of a Deutche BA 733. When it was about 15-20 miles from touch down, the pilot reported to ATC that he had an altitude warning "terrain terrain". He also told that would pull up the plane due to that warning.

The strange about this is that the plane was more than 5000ft altitude, and no reported traffic in the area, also with correct QNH. The weather was hazy and I guess he was not visual with terrain. But, in any case, he was 5000 ft above the ground.

The pilot decide to make the approach over the water (Atlantic Ocean) just in case.

Even after landing, the ATC ask for more details to the pilot, because they also didn't understand what happened.

Can this be a computer problem or what?

Mirage
Faro, Portugal

JR737

RE: Strange warning

Sun Dec 20, 1998 8:52 am

If they had an excessive rate of descend, it may be the probable cause of this terrain alert.
I had one situation like that on approach to Athens, in a CAVOK day, at about 3500 ft.
JR737
Portugal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos