pilot21

British Midland To Change Name

Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:11 am

There was a report in today's Sunday Times that British Midland is having 45% (about) of it's shares transferred from SAS to Lufthansa ownership to reflect the joining of the STAR alliance (although both airlines are in the STAR, so why the share sale?)
anyway, because British Midland are hoping to start Atlantic routes from next year they are changing their name to BlueBird to better reflect the fact that they are a new bigger carrier..
please, someone in BD, tell me this is not true, because if it is, I'm certainly not flying with you,
the effort that people put into airline names these days is terrible
e.g Buzz, Bluebird etc..
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

Craig

RE: British Midland To Change Name

Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:51 am

Hi,

I agree the name sounds awful. British Midland sounds far more profesional. There used to be a bus company in the UK called Bluebird, maybe they copied it from there.

Regards

Craig Stewart
Scotland

aa737

Mon Nov 08, 1999 7:19 am

I also would hate it if British Midland became Blue Bird. I don't want to walk through LHR and see blue bird planes in place of British Midland. I have heard that they plan to start transatlantic services. Is this what you mean by a bigger airline? I don't think the name should be changed just becasue of some new routes.

American 767

Mon Nov 08, 1999 8:50 am

I don't think BlueBird would be a good idea for the company's name. Maybe they should call it British Midland International, that would reflect to the public the airline's expansion beyond Europe. "Blue Bird" would be a good RADIO call sign.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

Brirish International

Mon Nov 08, 1999 9:47 am

I also think the name "blue bird" sounds awful. That is the name of a school bus manufacturer in the US and it sounds Ok, but for an airline...i dont think so. I personally think British International has a nice ring to. Or even Midland International??? Anyways what new routes are they starting to the US and with what aircraft?

BM To Be British INTERNATIONAL/LION

Mon Nov 08, 1999 10:03 am

I've heard from other sources that the possibilities include BRITISH INTERNATIONAL and BRITISH LION.
They are soon expected to unveil a new landor designed livery (early next year I think)
They have also reserved registrations G-WWBA to G-WWBZ for future deliveries - don't know if that gives any clues!!!!!

gardermoen

Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:47 pm

Blue Bird sounds like some tacky charter carrier that flies out of Gatwick. Definettly not a name that goes with Heathrow Airport. And British International is a bit confusing with British Airways for the travelling public. As for British Lion, that sounds good, so does British Midland International. I really like their current logo. Hope the new one is even better and not some all-white cheat job.