PW100
Topic Author

KLM To Start Regional Jets From Ams?

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:22 am

I heard today [what I believe is] a rumor, that next year KLM exel will operate AMS-BIO [Bilbao] three times daily on behalf of KLM using EMB-145. Can anyone confirm this? If true it would be excellent news. There are quite some markets currently not served by the KLM network in which a 50 seat jet would work.

Although one could argue that the Fokker 70 [which KLM cityhopper operates 20 of] is a regional jet, I think this will be the first genuine 50 seat regional jet to be operated on the KLM network in full KLM livery. I would be very nice to see KLM opening up new markets using regional jets. I have always wondered why KLM exel didn't put their jets on the KLM network in the first place, instead of sending them over to Cameroon...? Probably scope clause related I guess.

Could this be the beginning of the end for the Fokker 50 at AMS?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Philipp Brumann
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Jongeneelen

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

jwenting

RE: KLM To Start Regional Jets From Ams?

Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:13 am

hmm, thought those 145s were going to the Caribbean to start up a regional there?
I wish I were flying

PW100
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:50 pm

Can anyone confirm if KLM exel will start AMS-BIO, or is this just another wild rumor?

Jwenting
Well, they initially ordered three [with another three options] EMB-145s. Two of them flew in Cameroon until recently. Air Exel indeed announced that two EMB-145s and two ATR42s would start Caribbian operations in December 2002. However I haven't read yet that they actually have started the operation. I know there were some problems to get the required permits.

I have no idea where the third EMB-145 currently is. This one could be used for AMS-BIO...?

Kind regards,
PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

LJ

Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:26 pm

Nothing yet in the reservation systems thus it's still a rumour (allthough KLMexel has requested and received slots for these flights)

OO-VEG

Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:02 am

From what I know there were slots requested for that route by KLM exel. The website of KLM-exel didn't mention anything about it. KLM exel did start a service to Strassbourg (from AMS) with an Emb-120 this season.

I have also heard about more vague rumours another ERj-145 should be used to restart the MST-MUC service this summer.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:58 am

Speaking of which, what is going on with the KLM Caribbean RJ network? It is supposed to be based in Bonaire and fly to Curacao, Miami, Barcelona (Venezuela) and a few other Caribbean/Venezuelan destinations.
a.

jwenting

Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:54 am

The 3rd ERJ is not operated on the KLM network, but under contract for the Royal Netherlands Navy.
I wish I were flying

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos