by738

Not Much UK News

Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:04 am

There seems to be lack of exciting UK airline news. Anyone got any, or does anyone care to make some up. Whats ahead in the Uk for 2003

shankly

RE: Not Much UK News

Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:40 am

Surely 2003 will be the year when Ryanair start paying people to fly.

L1011 - P F M

Ikarus

Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:52 am

Care to make some up? Sure.

Easyjet Expansion plans

Easyjet, Europe's biggest low-cost airline, announced today that it intends to expand exponentially, both by mergers and acquisitions, and organic growth. The airline revealed a 7 stage plan for growth:
1) incorporate the operations of Go (a recent takeover) completely into the airline and do the same with dba
2) Acquire 240 Airbus aircraft to supplement the fleet
3) hostile takeover of buzz (for $5 million), BMI Baby (for $200 million), Hapag Llloyd Express (for $50 million) and Caledonian Wings (for 1 Russian Rouble). Also, start a "Dirty Tricks" campaign against Ryanair and inspire an international boycott against Irish airlines. Justification for campaign still to be conceived.
4) Acquisition of United Airlines and American Airlines (for $1.00 in a buy one get one free deal) after the American parliament changes company ownership laws to permit this. Expansion into low-cost, no-frills intercontinental market with the newly acquired fleets.
5) Acquire 1000 Tupolev 204 and 334 aircraft to supplement the fleet, as the offered price was lower than that of rival Airbus (who refused to offer the same price a 2nd time). Tupolev to do all maintenance and supply all pilots.
6) Takeover of the governments of most African and Latin American countries, as well as Japan, by offering voters free flights if they vote for Easyparty.com. Also, encourage British and Australian citizens to enter "easygod.com" as religion on their respective referendums, so that the religion becomes officially recognized and can save easyjet taxes.
7) takeover of the EU and the UN, and world domination. The world will be rebranded as easyworld.com with its own URL and great value for money deals to be had on the page. A large banner to be installed on the Chinese Wall, reading "0800-easyworld - book now" so that aliens can identify the planet.

Regards

Ikarus

Ikarus

Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:54 am

Shankly: They already did. On 5th and 6th December this year, they offered 100,000 seats at 0.50 cents including taxes, to and from Frankfurth Hahn. So they effectively already paid 100,000 people to fly with them! (Germanwings paid 50,000 people)

Regards

Ikarus

shankly

Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:01 am

Ryanair wish to offer more flights for businessmen working in the City of London, so start services from London City II..er Southend

L1011 - P F M

shankly

Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:03 am

Thanks Ikarus...those 738's must really be efficient
L1011 - P F M

gkirk

Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:01 am

I hear easyJet are cutting down on Ops at GLA and EDI  Sad Reason = BAA?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GAWZU

Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:00 pm

GKirk- that sounds about right... I've been trying to book flights between STN and GLA/EDI during the summer and it appears that schedules have been reduced quite a bit for the summer. Not only from STN either, I think LTN will suffer as well.

It's a shame their website only mentions NEW destinations and IMPROVED frequencies - not the other way round. It might be a bit clearer otherwise. I've written to the airline, but as of yet, no response.

BRgds,
Adam

Ikarus

Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:05 pm

Aaargh! My Easyjet predictions are coming true! They've registered "easyatlantic"!!! And that's not for building an airline around it, it's for when they take over NATO and replace its title with something catchier...  Big grin

Behold, world, for Dr Stelios Evil is coming!  Acting devilish

by738

Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:01 am

I feel that easyjet are messing about with Glasgow, they should remember that their very first flight was GLA-LTN and the route is one of their most successful. All this talk of reduction in services is just to redeploy aircraft elsewhere. Come on Easyjet, Im sure a deal could be made with BAA

bmi330

Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:12 am

At this rate Glasgow airport will just be a shoping centre whith out planes in the car park instead of a shoping centre with airplanes.

GAWZU

Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:07 am

Bmi330 - same goes for the all other BAA shopping malls... I mean airports...

Regards
Adam

fpdonald

Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:09 am

What happened with Airtours, err My Travel? Are the employees still holding their collective breath, or has there been good news?

Fingers crossed that they will survive 2003, and many years to come.

BlueShamu330s

Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:36 am

Hmmmmmm, make Glasgow a designer outlet village, rename Prestwick as West Scotland International and develop Edinburgh into Scotland's premier gateway......sounds good to me !!  Big thumbs up

Shamu
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

gkirk

Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:01 am

MyTravel will be around for a few years yet  Smile
GLA/EDI-LTN/STN Is being reduced.
Maybe as long as BAA are in control, GLA and EDI will never become low-cost hubs?  Confused
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

southside

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:33 pm

I know this might be changing the subject a bit, but I've just read in Aviation News that Germanwings are interested in Glasgow, Manchester, and Dublin.

David_itl

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:40 pm

I doubt if MAN will see Germanwings because we've got HLX instead!

David

vfw614

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:24 pm

Edinburgh seems to be the most likely candidate for Germanwings as it has been mentioned in the media here a couple of times. However, the airline's COO recently said that expansion - a max. of 6 new routes due to be announced by mid-January - will focus on Italy and Middle/Eastern Europe. No more mentioning of the UK, Scandinavia and the Iberian peninsula as before. We shall see.

AirX

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:33 pm

hello,
There is not much news from the Channel Islands ever,all I have heard is that Aurigny will lease a BAe 146 from Titan for the summer season and the possible retirement of a few Trislanders although this is only a rumour.

*IOS Skybus have started flights from Newquay to GCI and JER. I have not been up to GCI in a while so I cannot confirm whether a DHC Twin Otter is in use or an Islander.

*Le Cocqs (AirX Ltd) are using what I think is an ex-Air Jamacia Islander (G-BIIP) on the JER-BOU route. I think it was being operated up north for a while?

*EAL will operate the following charters from JER in 2003 with a 732:
Alicante
Malaga
Tenerife
Lanzarote
Palma
Naples

*JMC were supposed to be operating a flight from Jersey to Warsaw but for some reason it never happened.

*GCI airlink is a proposed new airline operating flights to the UK.

Regards Adrian.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos