wing

Prefer Jet Or Turboprop In Shorthaul?

Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:46 am

I have witnessed more than one occasion that people feel more safe if they fly with a jet engined aircraft rather than a turboprop airplane.When you have to fly short haul and if you had a chance to choose(lets say there is a flight departing now with a turboprop airplane and another one in one hour with a jet to your destination)which one would you prefer?
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

RE: Prefer Jet Or Turboprop In Shorthaul?

Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:48 am

The flight most convenient for me would be my choice, especially if it offers a shorter layover. Sitting around in airports in between flights isn't my idea of fun.

jjbiv

Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:12 am

Gimme the 'prop!

joe

Sabena332

Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:16 am

I always prefere a jet because it is more comfortable (and not that loud) but I also like it to fly on props, in the last year I flew a lot with the ATR 42 and with the ATR 72.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

CMK10

Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:58 am

In my experiance with short haul transports (Saab-340, Shorts-360, ATR-42 ERJ-140, ERJ-145). Ill take the Saab. But this is not indicitive of me always taking props, Ive just had the best experiances with the Saab.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

USAFHummer

Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:12 am

I havent had much experience with either (only regional flights were on Dash-8, J-31, Do-328, and Bae-146) but as long as it gets me where Im going on schedule, I dont think I would care too much...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Ilyushin96M

Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:13 am

Given that most regional jets and props have the same level of comfort, it doesn't matter to me at all. I think the props are more fun to fly in - they give that "old world" feel of lots of noise on start-up, taxy and take-off. I wouldn't want to deal with that for more than about 30 minutes, though.

IMissPiedmont

Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:36 pm

The staement "that people feel more safe if they fly with a jet engined aircraft rather than a turboprop airplane" is really quite funny. Not that your statement was funny Wing, I've seen it also. My laugh comes from pointing out that the only real difference is that on one the fan is enclosed.

Now for my preference. Do.328-300 over Saab 340, DHC-8 over CRJ/ERJ, F.27 over anything. I will always choose high wing and don't care if the fan is shrouded or not.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Spence

Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:39 pm

Depends on which model of Saab340. The "A" model is poor, the "B" model is okay, and the B+ is quite comfortable and quiet.

Over all, I'll take any Dash-8 model because the engine RPM is lower thus less vibration.

Spence

flyboy36y

Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:13 pm

I kinda like Saabs and ATRs. I wanna take them while I can.

portcolumbus

Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:45 pm

Gotta love props, just anything but a Shuttle America Saab. Never again.

POSITIVE RATE

Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:52 pm

Can't really say because i've never flown on a turboprop before. But given a choice of say a CRJ or a Saab 340 i'd take the CRJ. Jets are faster, fly higher, quieter and smoother to fly in. Having said that i would like to fly on a turboprop just for the experience.

Douglas DC-9

Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:26 pm

I'd take a Beechcraft 1900D for a prop, and an Dornier/Fairchild 328JET for an "express" or shorthaul flight.

Thanks Much,
DC-9-32

AApilot2b

Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:27 pm

I'll take the prop! Especially if its leaving now. I've flown in both regional jets and turbo props and to be honest, my most comfortable experience of them all was in an ASA, ATR-72. There was more leg room and cabin space in that aircraft than the CRJ or ERJ. My CRJ flights were horrible (my greatest dislike being the window at elbow level. I've read that Bombardier fixed this issue with the CRJ, but so far my times in those aircraft were not very pleaseant at all.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

strickerje

Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:28 pm

I'd take the prop just for variety since I see and fly on RJ's often (namely CRJ's). I was on a turboprop for the first time in over 10 years just a few weeks ago - American Eagle Saab 340, SAN-LAX. My first flight ever, back in 1992, included a leg on a Comair Saab 340, CVG-YYZ, and I wanted to fly on one again - and I even made sure I got the same seat!

wing

Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:23 pm

Actually while I was writing this post I was also thinking that this is not quite right place to ask such question.Because in a.net forums people are knowledgable or eager to learn something about aviation so they can think better than average people on the steet.Taking the a.netters a side most people doesn't have a clue about the difference between turbopropeller and piston propeller.I 've witnessed people in the waiting lounges talking about the plane's paint was old and would that be an unsafe situation.Or more interestingly even some of my friends who know I am an airline pilot asks me "we flew 3 times with A Airline it was not a bumpy flight but last week we flew B Airline and it was a turbulant flight why is it? Does A airlines has better pilots than B airline?"So I guess its normal that non enthusiasts can make such comments and its also normal that people who doesn't fly often can be stressed little more than frequent flyers.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

ERJ135

Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:27 pm

Safety is not really an issue for me when selecting a flight unless it's with an airline with a really poor record.
If the jet was an ERJ I'd go with that, but otherwise I'd take the most convenient option or earliest arrival.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

LPL

Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:10 pm

I've flown the A330 from DUB to SNN and the ATP from LPL to IOM. Comparing these two, I prefer the A330 because it's quieter and less bumpy. Next year i'm hoping to go on an ERJ or a 717.

airsicknessbag

Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:14 pm

ARJ, Dash 8, F50, ATR, Do 328, CRJ - in that order. In three weeks, I´ll get a ride on the world´s first regional jet - watch out for my trip report to see how she compares to the others.

(Though I guess it would be rather difficult to find a route on which a CRJ and a Yak 40 are direct competitors  Smile/happy/getting dizzy )

Daniel Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos