tzMSP

Sun Country/Transavia Swaps

Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:31 am

I was on a little non-rev trip from CUN-MSP last night, and we flew on this a/c seen in the shot below. I've noticed several Transavia-now-Sun Country B738s sitting around the HHH charter terminal at MSP, and wondered why it is that SY is buying/leasing these from Transavia. Does anyone know?

Interestingly enough, the planes on the inside are still the Transavia colours, along with logos on all the ovens, and signs in the lavatory in Dutch, including "It is a violation of Dutch law to smoke in airplane lavatories."

Just wondered if anyone knew what the link was, and why SY is snapping these birds up. They're nice. I'm curious what engines SY is using.

Anyways, Mexico was nice for new years... hope everyone is having a good 2003!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

tzMSP

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Carter

diesel1

RE: Sun Country/Transavia Swaps

Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:53 am

Though I don't know the details this is almost certainly a lease to Sun Country from Transavia for the busy N American winter season when the European charter airlines aircraft are less busy

In the past Dan Air used to lease 727-200's to Sun Country for the winter (way back in the 80s/ early 90s!)

I would expect the a/c to return to the Netherlands in April/May
I don't like signatures...

Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:47 am

In America it is against the law to smoke anywhere on a plane.

God bless America

jwenting

Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:29 pm

So it is in the Netherlands, the stickers were printed a long time ago before the smoking cabins were abandoned and are still put in because people regularly try to sneak into the lavatories for a smoke and set off the smoke detectors (causing alarms all over the aircraft of course).

Dutch smokers are quite inconsiderate. On my trip to Curacao last year people started lighting up on the airstairs leaving the aircraft while a fueltruck was parked under the wing refueling the aircraft.
Going back some people thought it a good idea to get a quick smoke on the tarmac between leaving the (non-smoking) terminal building and the (non-smoking) aircraft, this despite the non-smoking signs and fueltrucks fueling several aircraft just meters away.
I wish I were flying