sleekjet

Passenger Hangs Self On Heathrow Flight

Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:06 pm

II Cor. 4:17-18

AMSMAN

RE: Passenger Hangs Self On Heathrow Flight

Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:11 pm

The middle-aged passenger, believed to be Swiss, killed himself after tying his belt around a handle designed for the disabled

I dont get it....is this real....why would this happen??
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Ikarus

Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:16 pm

AMSMAN: Why not? People can commit suicide anywhere they want to...

AMSMAN

Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:19 pm

True - but im not sure...just somethin bout the article that make me want to NOT believe it....dont know why! Guess its gotta be real?

swissgabe

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:11 am

The suicide percentage level in Switzerland is one of the highest worldwide. I think only in Japan it is higher.

Ikarus. I agree that People "can" commit suicide anywhere they want to... But it is sad when people only think about them self. Stupid things like jumping in front of a train or hanging in a public place are very sad. Think about what other people feel and I'm pretty sure also kids have been around the place. Something like that has to be very sad.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

goboeing

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:24 am

It's ashame his life had to end like that. However, I can't help thinking about the scene from Airplane!.

Nick

kaitakfan

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:44 am

Hell, He probably felt like I did leaving Heathrow with such a horrible hangover, he had to kill himself! I wished death upon myself many a times during my weekend binge drinking session in London. Finally someone decided death was a better option then dealing with the pain!

lmml 14/32

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:46 am

Did the flight divert? Since it was after the meal flight must have been some 3 hours over the pond.

Greg

Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:19 am

This is why inflight food should be improved. People are now killing themselves after tasting it.

AMSMAN

Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:13 am

What are the waypoints over the atlantic? Iceland?....Newfoundland?

Would it have diverted?

mika

Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:21 am

KaiTakFan, LOL!

However tasteless that was, it was funny as hell.  Nuts

avt007

Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:16 am

Sadly, I knew before opening this post that someone would make jokes about this. No big surprise that it`s the 16 yr old crowd, I guess. Maybe when someone they know kills themselves reality will set in.

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:00 am

Hey AVT007 its sad, yeah, but what are we supposed to do. I think your just mad because people said the things you wanted to say.. Like the Airplane! joke, or what Greg said. Lighten up man. Plus you dont know how close some of us have been to death. so just keep it to your self.
Go big or go home

Greg

Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:18 am

Killing yourself is not a rational act, therefore it will not neccesarily have many rational comments.
Clearly this individual was distraught.
And clearly any of us finding dark humour in it is not truly making fun of his demise.
But the peculiarity of the situation lends itself to a bit of levity....

Brgds.

jcs17

Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:21 am

Maybe Ted Striker was sitting next to him and telling him some stories from the war!
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

jhooper

Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:06 am

As a result of this incident, the TSA has now banned seat belts on airplanes for security reasons....  Yeah sure
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Britair

Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:30 am

I am stunned at how insensitive some of you are being. It's not funny.

My thoughts are with the gentleman's family first and foremost and also the passengers and crew of BA269 who tried their best.

QANTASforever

Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:46 am

Swissgabe said:

The suicide percentage level in Switzerland is one of the highest worldwide. I think only in Japan it is higher.

Say to say it, but Australia has the second highest suicide rate in the world.

Amazing to think that people from such good, pleasant countries like Switzerland and Australia would want to kill themselves. That is not to take away from the fact that people have problems mental or otherwise that they believe constitute ending it all. But it is funny to think that people in other countries battle every day just to survive (eat etc) and despite the fact that every service imaginable is available to people in developed nations - people still kill themselves.

QANTASforever

Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

jhooper

Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:46 am

I have little sympathy for people who take their own lives. I'm sorry.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Britair

Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:56 am

Jhooper, all due respect, dont say stupid things like that. None of us have any idea why he did it, so let's not belittle something we dont know anything about. If he couldnt see any other way out than to kill himself, you are a very cold human being indeed if you dont feel for his mental pain.

My point is also as a mark of respect for the family and friends he left behind, that pain is real and that loss deserves your sympathy. Also the passengers and crew will never forget what they saw for the rest of their lives.

Think about it.

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:32 am

Sad to hear this. Some people's holiday will not have started in the best fashion.
In Arsene we trust!!

Ikarus

Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:33 am

Jhooper: Actually, I happily state the opposite. I have the highest possible respect for people who take their own lives. The amount of courage needed to do that... Honestly, I can't think of anything that would require more guts.

And, to be honest, I don't have any respect for the doctor who tried to revive the man after he had hung in the lav for nearly half an hour. Even if he'd succeeded, the brain of the victim would have incurred such severe damage that he'd have been reduced to an existence that is as indignified as possible. Any doctor who actively tries to prolong an existence like that deserves no respect at all.

Regards

Ikarus

shankly

Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:54 am

1st; sympathy's noted as one would expect..but especially to the poor people who have to clear it all up.

I'll give it three months before there's a "ghost story" knocking about on airliners.net about this aircraft.
L1011 - P F M

flyboy36y

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:08 am

Ikarus,

What a ghastly thinkg to say. While he has been in the bathroom for a half hour the doctor had now way of knowing how long he had been hangging. It takes time to set up the beslt and decide if this is rreally what you want. He may have only been hannging for a few minutes and could have been fully revived.

gocaps16

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:11 am

Hell, he wanted to die so he died in public, i guess he wanted the attention.

"I say....let 'em crash" -Airplane! errr Die.

Maybe he was sitting a seat next to a crying baby and couldn't withstand it.

Kevin

Suicidal rates are high now and its something very hard to stop.

EGGD

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:40 am

I think it takes greater courage to not-suicide.....

lubcha132

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:55 am

switzerland is so nice, why would they have such a high suicide rate.

but i digress. its a shame, i'm not sure i would've wanted to be on that flgiht.

what do they do with the body in cases like this? keep it in the lav?

airsicknessbag

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:56 am

AMSMAN: I dont get it....is this real....why would this happen??

Ikarus: Why not? People can commit suicide anywhere they want to..

Hey, it´s not that absurd. A guy who was sitting in the compartment next to mine decided to hurl himself out of the train´s window - at 200 km/h...

Daniel

Ikarus

Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:37 am

Flyboy36: From the moment you are unconscious from strangulation (about 10-20 seconds after the blood vessels have been closed), your braincells begin to die, one by one. A few seconds in, and the damage is minimal. A few minutes, and it's terrible.

If you find someone hanging, untie them, check their pulse, and leave them in peace. If they're dead, so be it. If they aren't and manage to recover by themselves, so be it. But do not try to revive a dead person. It makes you responsible for the fate they have to endure afterwards.... which is likely to be worse than death.

EGGD: Depends on the case & the situation.

Cyberflyer

Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:46 am

hmmmmm....the guy must have been very athletic. I don't think it can be easy to hang yourself in the airplane toilet. Why would he kill himself on a plane? I can think of a few reasons, but most of them pertain to the lack of certain hygiene by many Europeans. Any of you who have taken a few runs on the Paris subway know what I mean. The smell alone could drive anyone to suicide.

Suicide is the most selfish act! I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who kill themselves. I have a lot of sympathy for those who are left behind.

avt007

Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:34 am

AA61, don't insult me. I would never make jokes about suicide. You won't find Palestinians or Israelis joking about their war, just as you won't find me joking about suicide. Two people I've known have killed themselves, and a third came to the brink of death as well. My point about the 16-20 bracket is that as you get older, you experience more of life, and hopefully mature. Having said that, I understand dark humour as well as the next person, but we each have our own touchy subjects. BTW, an unofficial breakdown of insensitive remarks to date in this post; 16-20 yrs, 4 replies. 21-25, 1 reply. 26-35, 1 reply. I just call as I see 'em Innocent

c3000flyboy

Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:43 am

While I was working for an airline we had a passenger attempt suicide on his way back to Croatia or Serbia I can't remember.

My roommate was operating from YVR - LGW during duty free service she was passing a lav and other passengers were saying how long the pax had been in the lav over 1/2 hr. She knocked no response so she opened the door from the outside and found the pax unconscious and the bathroom covered in blood. He had attempted to cut his wrists, neck and elbow area (where ever he thought he could find a vein really) Luckily there was a hockey team travelling on the flight with their team doctor so they were able to revive him. Apparently he didn't want to go back to his country due to the war and poverty. Very sad.
Emergency! Keep your head down, stay down!!

gigneil

Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:57 am

I can post an arbitrary tasteless remark to help the 21-25 range if need be.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

It is an unfortunate incident however. 50 tasteless things come to mind but none that need to be posted.

N

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:41 am

This isn't the right forum, however I, for the most part, don't respect people for taking their own lives. Especially in public places.

MxCtrlr

Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:31 pm

This is the passenger airline industry - the same people who brought you such classics as "What did the one alligator say to the other alligator after VJ592? For a low-fare carrier, the food ain't bad!" (Rim shot!) or "What did the one Air Florida pilot say to the other? We'll hit that bridge when we cross it!" (Rim shot!) or "I tried to call ValueJet reservations, but they were swamped!". The list of dark humor goes on and on and it is quite natural when dealing with sudden death (the same as the medical profession or law enforcement). It is a mechanism for coping with a stressful situation, not, and I repeat NOT immaturity (check out MY age if you will). Just because something is touchy for you, doesn't mean you have to jump down everyone else's throat about it. My mother is dying from Alzheimer's but I still make jokes about her being able to hide her own Easter eggs or wrap her own Christmas presents. Doesn't make me insensitive, just dealing with the fact that the woman who gave birth to me doesn't know me from a stranger on the street! Grow up and deal with it! (Just MHO - I could be wrong)!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:04 pm

i agree with you MxCtrlr-it is a way to cope with it. some people get upset, other people may make jokes..
Go big or go home

shamrock104

Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:03 pm

Swissgabe,

I don't think that this is true that only Japan has a higher suicide rate than Switzerland. According to my statistics, Finland has the highest rate. It is also a statistic that one is more likely to die by killing themselves than bieng involved in a car accident there.