clickhappy

FAA Coming Down On Air Midwest?

Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:49 am

From CNN:

FAA orders Air Midwest to immediately inspect 45 planes that were serviced at same facility as one that crashed Wednesday

jtamu97

RE: FAA Coming Down On Air Midwest?

Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:35 am

I don't think they are really Coming Down on them, it is just a valid concern that something could have gone wrong at the facility. It seems they would prefer to catch something before it happens again and they go Yep, we knew something was wrong at that maintenance facility. To me it is just like an AD coming out on a GA aircraft cause of something happening on one plane.

Later,
Jay
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

OPNLguy

RE: FAA Coming Down On Air Midwest?

Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:07 am

It's really not all that different than what FAA did after the AA191 crash at ORD back in 1979. The aircraft involved had an engine change some weeks before and improper procedures were used that resulted in damage (which later resulted in the engine separation).

When NTSB figured this out, FAA mandated inspections of all DC-10s (in case other airlines used the same "shortcut" engine change procedures that AA did), and I recall that 5 or 6 other DC-10s were found with loose engine pylons. I can remember the exact chronology, but the DC-10s were also grounded for awhile as a result.

The NTSB fellow in charge of the CLT investigation is John Goglia, and he was formerly in various maintenance positions at US Air(ways). Accordingly, any mechanically-related stuff is right up his alley, and I'm sure the truth of what happened will come out pretty quickly, and accurately.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.